Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

I don't know how it works - and you probably are stuck with paying for the report, but couldn't your insurance company get it for you and then get reimbursed by her insurance?

It may be a petty expense, but with all the inconvenience you are already experiencing, I don't see why you should have to pay anything - when clearly you are in no way at fault in this accident.

My insurance company will get a copy - they have the info necessary to order it - but I really want my own copy ASAP it's available just because it's all so bizarre and I want to know, first-hand.

It's possible her ins co at some point will offer me "above and beyond" money to get me to sign off. I've experienced that before, so that might be a routine thing, I don't know. This has never happened to me before 😕

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

If the woman has liability coverage, everyone will be paid by her insurance company to the limits of her policy.  And hopefully that man has medical insurance to help with his expenses as well.  

I have been in this woman's shoes.  By the grace of God, my car rolled down a steep hill  with the emergency brake on and hit nothing.  I still shake a bit even remembering it.  Your life is changing in an instant before your eyes and there is literally nothing you can do to undo it or to make it better.

I hope that man recovers swiftly and everyone is able to made whole through the insurance so that all can move on from something no one ever intended to happen that day.  

@Moonchilde  So glad you have the ball rolling.  Sounds like you are well on your way to getting your car back.  

@Laura14 The CHP officer said she has "multiple" insurance. Not sure one can have "double" insurance on a car, but - ?  I'm playing a waiting game right now - waiting for my estimate, the police report, and can't take the car in without the estimate. I'm going to call my ins co tomorrow & attempt to contact the adjuster just to touch base.

I don't think the victim is going to recover swiftly; he may not recover from what I know at this point 😔

@Moonchilde  I never got the police report.  The insurance company should pull that for you.  You seem to be doing an awful lot when it's the other insurance company who should be hopping to it to work on your behalf.  

You have a lot more steps than I ever did.  And I never had even a mention of using my own insurance first and then waiting to be reimbursed.  If you do that, are you going to see it on your record because your insurance paid upfront and not the other party?  You may want to ask your agent that so no one jumps your rates on you in the future.  

I know you have to do what you have to do to get your car back but I just had a much easier experience than what you seem to be going through.  This seems like the wrong insurance company is working hard for you.

And I know it sounds like that poor guy has a long road but I remain hopeful.  I was really referring to the lawyers some have brought up.  It's the last thing anyone needs right now, in my opinion.  

Let the events play out, let this man hopefully recover, and then see what, if anything, anyone is really out past the insurance and then go from there, if necessary.  Causing severe financial distress or bankrupting someone over a true accident (I know you're not doing this or even considering it at this point) just really rubs me wrong especially when it's premature and the dust hasn't settled for anyone yet.  

Most people will do the right thing if you just give them a chance to get themselves together first and then they can start compensating past the insurance policy if need be.  

Honored Contributor

@Laura14, the only thing I've done so far is report the accident to my ins co and provided them with the info they need to get the police report - which likely won't be available to anyone for several more days. I've set up an appt at the body shop I plan to take it to, but must wait for the estimate, which I should get Friday or Monday. I don't consider I've done anything unusual or out of the ordinary up to this point.

My insurance company can't "do" anything for me until they get a copy of the police report - they have no one to contact. Yes, if an accident is minor enough that all parties exchange all necessary info face-to-face, things can be handled much faster. But right now the ball is in the CHP's court and everyone waits on them. That's not a fault in the insurance company.

I will get the report probably much faster than my ins co as I will go to the CHP office and pick it up. The ins co will have to have it faxed, emailed or snail-mailed - don't know how they do it.  I will offer to give them the woman's info via phone or email when I get it.

There is no local office or local, face-to-face adjuster, it's phone calls and emails.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Sending prayers for strength and recovery for the victim.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Laura14, the only thing I've done so far is report the accident to my ins co and provided them with the info they need to get the police report - which likely won't be available to anyone for several more days. I've set up an appt at the body shop I plan to take it to, but must wait for the estimate, which I should get Friday or Monday. I don't consider I've done anything unusual or out of the ordinary up to this point.

My insurance company can't "do" anything for me until they get a copy of the police report - they have no one to contact. Yes, if an accident is minor enough that all parties exchange all necessary info face-to-face, things can be handled much faster. But right now the ball is in the CHP's court and everyone waits on them. That's not a fault in the insurance company.

I will get the report probably much faster than my ins co as I will go to the CHP office and pick it up. The ins co will have to have it faxed, emailed or snail-mailed - don't know how they do it.  I will offer to give them the woman's info via phone or email when I get it.

There is no local office or local, face-to-face adjuster, it's phone calls and emails.

This is your best course of action @Moonchilde 

Honored Contributor

In case anyone is curious -

I have no update on the pedestrian's condition nor does CHP. 

According to the CHP report, the driver of the car was in a hurry to meet business associates, saw them and jumped out of her car without putting her car in Park. That's it in a nutshell. Estimated the car was going 10 mph down a slight slope when it hit my car. The reason her car hit my car was that the wheels of the car turned after it hit the pedestrian. Ick.

CHP noted that the driver of the SUV caused the whole thing because she didn't put the car in Park before she got out of it. CHP recommended their report be sent to the DA's office for review. Blood from the victim was 6 x 2 FEET in size.

The driver was in her 40s.

I'm leaving my car for repair tomorrow. $4000 worth.

Respected Contributor

@Moonchilde wrote:

According to the CHP report, the driver of the car was in a hurry to meet business associates, saw them and jumped out of her car without putting her car in Park. That's it in a nutshell. Estimated the car was going 10 mph down a slight slope when it hit my car. The reason her car hit my car was that the wheels of the car turned after it hit the pedestrian. Ick.

CHP noted that the driver of the SUV caused the whole thing because she didn't put the car in Park before she got out of it. CHP recommended their report be sent to the DA's office for review. Blood from the victim was 6 x 2 FEET in size.

This is so sad and preventable. That poor man who tried to help :'( 

Honored Contributor

@WenGirl42 wrote:

@Moonchilde wrote:

This is so sad and preventable. That poor man who tried to help :'( 

I know. I've heard from people who know him and his family, who say he's the sort of person who'd do anything for you, super-nice family, kids, grandkids. Just a shame. And while I still feel for the driver, my feelings are now a bit muted by the knowledge that there wasn't a malfunction she couldn't help, and the accident was caused by her carelessness.

Trusted Contributor

Re: Bad Afternoon

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

Wow, not that younger people are immune from careless mistakes, but I guess I would have thought this type mistake would have come from a much older driver, not someone in their 40's. 

My heart has gone out to both of the driver and the victim from the beginning and still does, but my heart breaks just a little bit more for the victim now that I know it was preventable. The fact that the driver is still so young means she will have to live with all the havoc caused  from her carelessness even longer. 

This is incredibly sad all around and thanks for the update, @Moonchilde

Please let us know when you do get an update on the guy's condition.