Honored Contributor

@Bri36 wrote:

That sounds horrible - those poor people. 

I know it's a hassle to deal with your car, but I would thank my lucky stars I wasn't in it. 

I truly do, @Bri36

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde  Was the driver elderly?  There seem to be frequent parking lot incidents where older driver put their foot on the gas instead of the brake.  I'm not sure how that happens but it's very common. 

A couple years ago a elderly man here came out of Applebee's, got in his car, went to back out of parking place and shot straight ahead mowing over a landscape employee who was trimming a hedge.  The poor victim died. 

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@onlyshopsonline wrote:

@Moonchilde I have a different spin on this. You said you parked in front if the restaurant.  If you hadn't parked where you did, could the car have crashed into the restaurant and injured many people? 

I believe that, as part of a larger picture, we are put into certain places for a reason.  Sometimes we are really "inconvenienced."  But, in the scheme of things, there are more serious things that could have happened.  

You may have been "used" today and should feel just a little blessed.  

The car probably wouldn't have hit the restaurant, @onlyshopsonline, but it would instead have hit the car of a sweet elderly couple who were traveling through the area. I don't think it would have involved more injuries, but it may have saved them having to deal long distance with the accident.

Honored Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:

Maybe the restaurant had video surveillance to help the police figure out the sequence of events and see what happens.

Sadly, there may be some depreciation to the value of your car since it's been "in an accident" so to speak. Hopefully it's just body work which should devalue it much.  Thing is you want new and not after-market parts which you may not get. The insurance companies control that.  You may have to cough up more for new parts.

I'm not sure about the restaurant, but some business may well have had something going. Fingers crossed. My niece has recommended a body shop they were highly satisfied with.

Honored Contributor

@Noel7 wrote:

@Moonchilde

Oh, how awful!  All of it 😟 I'm glad you weren't hurt, but yes, what a mess to have yo deal with.

I wonder if something was wrong with her car...

From what anyone knows at this point, @Noel7, it certainly seems there was something wrong. The driver certainly believes so.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Moonchilde  Was the driver elderly?  There seem to be frequent parking lot incidents where older driver put their foot on the gas instead of the brake.  I'm not sure how that happens but it's very common. 

A couple years ago a elderly man here came out of Applebee's, got in his car, went to back out of parking place and shot straight ahead mowing over a landscape employee who was trimming a hedge.  The poor victim died. 

I can't be sure, because people dye their hair, but by what I saw I'd say in her 50s. She had called out for help before the accident saying she coudn't control/stop her car. What I don't understand is why not hit the BRAKE?

Trusted Contributor

@Moonchilde.   So glad you are okay.  Obviously you had nothing to do with the accident.   The other ladies insurance should pay all of your expenses.  At least here in NY I only had to pay my deductible when I was "responsible".   3 times over the years I had deer jump off a bank (3 different locations) and for those I paid the $500.  I live in deer country.  When somebody damaged me, no fault of mine, her insurance paid all.  She was ticketed for hitting the back of my car because she did not see the line of cars stopped in front of her.  2 lanes even on a 1 way street.  I guess No Fault can be a pain but my agent, since retired darn him ;-), stuck up for me and got her insurance to cover all.  Thank goodness she was not going faster.

Your insurance company should fight for you if need be since you were not in the car or involved in any way.  Good luck.

Honored Contributor

@Moonchilde

I googled "Lexus out of control" and there are several reports on it happening a lot. It has to do with the mat under the gas pedal.  

I don't know if that's her model but it't worth checking into.

You might be able to sue the company.

Honored Contributor

Re: Bad Afternoon

[ Edited ]

@Moonchilde wrote:

@Pearlee wrote:

Maybe the restaurant had video surveillance to help the police figure out the sequence of events and see what happens.

Sadly, there may be some depreciation to the value of your car since it's been "in an accident" so to speak. Hopefully it's just body work which should devalue it much.  Thing is you want new and not after-market parts which you may not get. The insurance companies control that.  You may have to cough up more for new parts.

I'm not sure about the restaurant, but some business may well have had something going. Fingers crossed. My niece has recommended a body shop they were highly satisfied with.

Might be best to take it to the dealer or dealer's collision center where you can insist on the right parts for your car from the manufacturer or secondary market.  For instance, if you go to the dealer's body shop and you have a Toyota, you'll get Toyota parts put in.  If you have an extended warranty on your car that you purchased, you'll need to be sure you don't render that void by getting non-manufacturer's parts and you can't be sure of that elsewhere.  

Honored Contributor

So many reports of horrible accidents with an out of control Lexus and many many recalls.  

You may not want to settle right away until you can have someone look into the culpability of the company, if any.

@Moonchilde