Respected Contributor

Re: Backyard fencing - wood or vinyl?

IMG_2147.JPG

I had this vinyl fence and privacy barrier installed last October.  The other side of it sits aligned next to my neighbor's wooden (western cedar) fence.  Mine looks so much cleaner.  I have had wood and while vinyl is more expensive, you are free of maintenance. I have had neighbors say they really like the choice I made too!

I tried to post the rest of the photos, but the file was too large. Smiley Sad 

Trusted Contributor

No comparison.  I've had both and hands down vinyl.

Trusted Contributor

@jpie wrote:

IMG_2147.JPG

I had this vinyl fence and privacy barrier installed last October.  The other side of it sits aligned next to my neighbor's wooden (western cedar) fence.  Mine looks so much cleaner.  I have had wood and while vinyl is more expensive, you are free of maintenance. I have had neighbors say they really like the choice I made too!

I tried to post the rest of the photos, but the file was too large. Smiley Sad 

Oh my goodness what gorgeous landscaping! I am envious.

Trusted Contributor

Thank you so much everyone, and @GiantsLover  thank you for the detailed info into legal issues as well.

I have never heard of Trex. All the options including cedar are interesting. I really appreciate your feedback.

Honored Contributor

@PilatesLover 

We chose 4' black wired fencing for our huge back yard. We prefer the fence blending in with our natural tree surroundings, and black does exactly what we expected. Love how it looks and also let's our small dog Lily run loose with no concern about her safety.

If one wants a fence for privacy?  I personally would opt for 6-8' solid wood.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I would go with metal---anything that is maintenace free is my mantra---no paint, no  staining and I have vinyl windows in my house, that I HATE with a passion and if fencing is the same, I would go postal. 

Honored Contributor

@Shorty2U 

When and if you decide to replace your deck, go for the Trex  or their counterbramds.  They are a vinyl product.  We had ours installed with the back yard last summer, but you can install.   We love it.  The boards look like wood, or painted wood.  Rinse with simple green once in a while and they look like new.