Honored Contributor

Re: Backyard fencing - wood or vinyl?

We installed wood privacy fence when we bought this house. The house was about 4 yrs old & only had a chain link fence on one side the neighbor had. We wanted a privacy fence so DH installed a wood fence all the way around even on the side where they had a chain link fence because we wanted the privacy & had a swimming pool.

The fence has been out there since 1985. We don't stain our wood fence since IMO that's just stupid. We like the weathered look.

We just replaced the fence across the back last summer. Neighbors tree fell on it. DH installed it himself at a cost $1,200. The fence boards were on sale for around $10 each when he bought them. DH uses screws instead of nails so if a board needs replaced it's easy to do.

For the rest of our fence to be 34 yrs old it looks pretty good.

Vinyl fences are nice & expensive. That's what my sister has. That's what her neighbors have. Most of our neighbors have wood plus a few with chain link.

Our neighbor behind us which rents wanted us to install the back fence as a friendly neighbor fence. DH told him no way he was installing it like that because that's what he wanted. He told him we were paying for it & would install it the way we want it. He did not like all the runners on his side. Too bad. DH needs to be able to get to it when it needs to be repaired plus we Paid for it.

Honored Contributor

Vinyl is no maintenance.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Esteemed Contributor

In Arizona we usually have block fencing. Every house traditionally has a 6’ block fence around their property. Nobody unless you have an older home has wood anymore and I’ve never seen vinyl. Don’t even know what that is. 

Honored Contributor

@Meowingkitty wrote:

In Arizona we usually have block fencing. Every house traditionally has a 6’ block fence around their property. Nobody unless you have an older home has wood anymore and I’ve never seen vinyl. Don’t even know what that is. 

@Meowingkitty 

Block fence would be great. Wish the City would let us install a 10' brick fence around our property just so we don't have to deal with our neighbors. I don't want to see their garbage since everyone around here is pretty much slobs.

County Assessor came by last year & said looks like you guys are the only ones in the neighborhood taking care of your house & property I said DUH!!!

Honored Contributor

We had a wood privacy fence installed since that is what our surrounding neighbors have, to look consistent.  We powerwash and stain it once a year.  

Respected Contributor

I had Vinyl put up because the up keep would be easier for me. With Vinyl I just have to wash it down if need be. With wood I would have to put some kind of sealer on it every few years. The Vinyl was more exspensive but in the long run it was well worth it.

Esteemed Contributor

I researched vinyl and wood and chose Cedar wood for a long 6 foot privacy fence to hide my neighbor’s wire she put on her split rail. There are large trees around and with storms it will be easier to repair when they fall. 

I can hang things on it also like the cute hat birdhouses from QVC.

It was also cheaper.

Honored Contributor

It may depend on where you live; our area dies not allow vinyl. We have cedar board-on-board fencing around our backyard. We just replaced our old one after 20 years. I do think the aesthetic is up to you and where you live. Some have found vinyl tends to not hold up to super scorching temps we get here each summer. I like the look of both wood and vinyl...how would each one look with your house?

Honored Contributor

I live on California, and we love our fences.  The bigger the better, lol!  We had a 2 ft retaining wall then 5 ft good neighbor boards, topped with a 2 ft triple lattice board fence.  I love it.  There are a few vinyl fences in town, and they look good.    We chose top grade wood, so no knots.. after a year it does loose it's new fence look, sadly.

i think vinyl fencing looks best in a stockade format.  We do jave a Trex deck which I love

Esteemed Contributor

I like the look of wood fencing better, but we have vinyl fencing. So If I were you Id get vinyl, much easier to maintain. We have a wooden deck, and are getting sick of the maintenance as we are getting older.

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles