Trusted Contributor

Backyard fencing - wood or vinyl?

Not sure if this is the right forum to ask, but I'm "on the fence" about this. Smiley Very Happy

I got a quote for replacing a blown down old wooden stockade fence with options for vinyl or wood.

Any thoughts to share on the pros and cons of either?

Trusted Contributor

Re: Backyard fencing - wood or vinyl?

I'm no expert, and maybe there are posters who would be better informed, but I would definately go with vinyl.

I've had both, and vinyl just holds up so much better.  I live near deep woods and there is a lot of mold and I can keep the vinyl clean.

I love the look of a wood fence, especially unpainted, but I don't think it will hold up that well for too long.

Honored Contributor

I too prefer the look of a wood fence, but I think they don't last as long, and require more maintenance, than vinyl.  I think I'd be leaning toward vinyl.

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

Before doing anything I would get a professional surveryor on the premises to look at your property deed and other legal documents, and then do his own measuring and survey to ensure what he surveys is also the same dimensions as your property deed.

"No fun erecting something just to be sued because you crossed into someone elses property line without their legal knowledge or consent".

Also if you have a gas line or electric line you must notify each of your intensions so they can offer their legal advice as to how you should safeguard both gas and electric power lines relative to underground and above ground. There are safeguards which must be strictly adhered to.

Definitely vinyl as it is really is easy to keep clean, and will last and last, provided it was professionally installed and came with a written warranty.

Custom vinyl fences can also mimic wood if that is the look preferred, so do speak to the vinyl professional and inquire.

Get all written signed documents, and definitely check out all credentials for the professional installer & any subs they may hire. Make sure they have proper    insurance liability quoted in your documentation for anyone who will set foot on your property, deliver items to you, etc., before you sign on the dotted line.

Also check them out thoroughly for everything, and if ii is a really big lot and job, I would hire a Specialized Attorney to do all this for you, so you have full legal protection against anything that may occur. I did hire a Specialized Attorney since I had a very large area to have my vinyl fencing installed.

Being sued is not fun, so best to make sure you have everything  legal and otherwise which you need, before embarking on any vinyl project.   

Vinyl fencing will last for many years, provided it is given proper care. ... If given proper treatment, there's no reason vinyl fencing will not last 20 to 30 years, and you may find that many vinyl fences come with lifetime warranties. 

Routine care should include regularly hosing to clean the accumulated dirt. Hosing should be done with a high-speed nozzle, which will take care of all accumulated dirt and debris in one sweep.   

A lot of the apparent dirt on a vinyl fence may actually be mold, which thrives in a moist environment. Countless products on the market claim to clean and disinfect a vinyl fence, but this article will show you why the best cleaning agent for a vinyl fence is one you probably already have in the laundry room.

EPA's Recognition of Household Bleach

The Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has recognized household bleach as a safe and effective household disinfectant. It's just as effective as vinyl fence cleaners that may not enjoy the same recognition by the EPA.

Dilute the bleach with hot water and add a tablespoon of grease-cutting dish soap. This solution will remove light grease build-up and most dirt deposits, as well as many forms of mold and bacteria.

Easy Application to Your Vinyl Fence

Wear a pair of thick rubber gloves and mix the solution well. With a sponge, lightly wet the entire surface of one vinyl fence panel. Allow the solution to sit on the fence for at least a minute, then wipe the surface firmly with the sponge. Rinse the panel and the sponge with a hose.

Move to the next panel of vinyl fencing. Household bleach and grease-cutting dish soap will remove all but the most stubborn stains, such as paint or nail polish, which you must remove with the appropriate product for that particular substance.

Another plus is vinyl can also be painted to any color you wish. 

You will need an epoxy-based paint that adheres to the vinyl. so do your homework and decide which suits your needs best. A sealer should also be applied to keep the color and finish bright and fresh over time.

You can opt for total privacy vinyl fencing or the top portion can have a cut out design, so you can see through it. Again your choice.

When I had my custom vinyl fence installed I also chose to purchase a large attractive outdoor vinyl BBQ dining set with curved benches, and a hole in the middle of the BBQ table for a large tilting removable umbrella which I stored in my large vinyl backyard shed.

I truly love the vinyl look and easy maintenance.

It can last for decades with very little upkeep and in the long run is extremely cost effective.

I really never cared what the neighbors have installed on their land, as I always purchased wisely and like my purchases to last many decades, with very little maintenance, so a wood, brick, concrete, wire, or other type of  fence just would not do.

For me on my acreage it is always custom vinyl which is worth every penny well spent, with very little maintenance upkeep.

Honored Contributor

What do your neighbors have?  If everyone has wood, definitely go with that.

I think wood is far better looking, but it depends on where you live and how you fit in with the overall look of the neighborhood and what kind of "fence" you are talking about.  Six foot?  Eight foot? A ranch style fence or a privacy fence?.  You don't want to stand out like a sore thumb so to speak!  LOL!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Go with vinyl - it's friendlier looking.

We moved from a rental house where the next door neighbor put up a 7 foot wooden fence because he got a good deal on it.  It was so unfriendly that I was glad we were moving.  The next people in the house stayed only one year and left.

I find the white vinyl fences with some kind of nice top - criss cross or diamond shape - the best IMO.

Respected Contributor

For me, definitively vinyl.  Low maintenance, durability!  Wood fencing, although nice looking, for me requires way too much maintenance and does need to be replaced far soon that a vinyl fence.  I am so tired of all the work needed to maintain my home or yard that the less or easiest way to maintain it is, always, my option.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I wouldn't have wood. It shrinks, fades from sun and is easily affected by wind.

Since I'm in Tx fungus isn't an issue for me in my part of Tx. (Amarillo) so we

went with vinyl to enclose a patio for privacy. Seldom rains. I got white vinyl and it's lot prettier then that ol' dog ear wood fencing.

People around me with wood has to pay to have it put back up all the time.

All depends on the people you pay to install. Bunch behind me had a great

wooden fence put in. Quality work and it's done well for them. Think it depends on how much you got to fence in. I put up gas pipe to go around couple corners of my 2 1/2 acres. Just to show where property lines fall not for privacy, but, it's not falling down I'll guarantee you. poured and set in concrete and if somebody hits it won't hurt gas pipe your car will be a mess though

Pay a company to do the work forget weekend warriors and friends.

If money is an issue wait till you can afford to have it done right.

Honored Contributor

I love the look of a wood fence, but the upkeep is tremendous. 

We have a wood fence that needs to be replaced, and I'm looking at vinyl. 

Honored Contributor

Have had both.

Hands down...vinyl.

It doesn't rot, need to be stained etc. 

Some leave wood natural...looks horrible in less than 2 years.  Prev. neighborhood, had problem w/ bugs getting into the wood.

We are in a brand new build development...everyone w/ fences went w/ vinyl.  There are SO many color choices, designs and styles to choose from now.

No maintenance is the way to go!  Worth every penny!