Honored Contributor

Re: Backlash against Social Media--Will it ever Happen?

@Trinity11

Thank you for responding.  I also believe in staying current if it's something that I feel adds pleasure and/or convenience to my life.  If it doesn't.... than the incentive is just not there.  I guess I just don't see that as being close minded.  I see that as using my learning abilities to tackle something more desireable for me. Maybe, I don't know what I'm missing but I'm a happy camper without it for now!  

Esteemed Contributor

The irony is that social media can be anything but social. It can be very anti-social with a lot of people doing and saying things without any filter. It can bring out the worst behaviour in many people.

If people don't want to participate in social media or don't want to use certain platforms, who can blame them? There's a lot of ugliness out there in social media cyberspace.

Honored Contributor

@jubilant wrote:

@Trinity11

Thank you for responding.  I also believe in staying current if it's something that I feel adds pleasure and/or convenience to my life.  If it doesn't.... than the incentive is just not there.  I guess I just don't see that as being close minded.  I see that as using my learning abilities to tackle something more desireable for me. Maybe, I don't know what I'm missing but I'm a happy camper without it for now!  

I have two children that want their mom to stay current. My daughter often tells me that aging isn't about just physical disability but growing stagnant. I fear that more than anything else thus my posts on the topic.

Esteemed Contributor

I suppose there is a backlash against social media by some folks, but I'm 70 and love social media. I'm not on Twitter or some of the others, but I love Facebook and check it daily since I'm retired. I think a lot of people have a misconception about Facebook - it is whatever you want it to be for you. I'm part of several groups that I thoroughly enjoy, like three of my favorite authors (discussions from fellow readers about books), my out of state high school graduating class (news and info about classmates), several recipe sources, and a couple of local and national news sources. I'm able to see photos from out of state cousins, but stay away from gossip at all costs. Just like I enjoy this forum (social media), I enjoy Facebook and see no reason that social media will ever go away.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11

I understand.  I have a daughter and grandson who think I need a SmartPhone.  I tried a cheap one once and I got so frustrated with it that I wanted to throw it out the back door!  Anyway, I asked them if they wanted to teach me and you should have seen the raised eyebrows. LOL!  So far no offers!!!!

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I do follow FB pages of my children so I know where my kids and grandchildren are....they all travel so much I am never sure if they are in town or overseas....I like to know if a grand has just won an award in a tournament or in school...we rarely are informed, so FB helps. Social media has its place, but am not interested in seeing a photo of every plate of food you are served every time you eat out....my neighbors always posts comments like "can't wait till we are on our cruise for the next 10 days" etc....I expect to see their house broken into and cleaned out when they are gone eventually..

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

I have to disagree (strongly) that not learning the newest technology etc. means a person does not have an open mind.

I have no need to upgrade my computer skills; I use the computer to chat here, do a little online shopping, and a few other things. 

One can learn and progress in so many areas-learn to dance the zumba (done that), take a course at a college in a field that is new (done that many times and still do), get out and volunteer in an area you didn't have time for but do now (do that too); or just go back and renew an interest in a skill/talent that you had to put aside but have time for now (do that too).  The list could go on but why brag.  lmao

The point is people can enhance their knowledge in so many ways; just because I'm not interested in FB Twitter or whatever doesn't mean I'm just sitting around doing nothing with my life.  LOL

As far as phones,  my Smartphones (2) were hand-me-downs from DS.  I already spoke about what I use mine for and it isn't very much.

A flip-phone doesn't mean one is now a relative of the Flintstones; people are comfortable with them so what is the big deal??

The older I get the more I see judgements being passed because a person isn't falling in line with "progress".   How in the world does it affect another person if somebody uses a flip phone for heaven sake.

Let it be.

I loved my flip phone. Whenever I used it, for one brief moment in time, I was living in miy own Star Trek reality!  Ok I really am a NERD! LOL

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@jubilant wrote:

@Trinity11

I have two children that want their mom to stay current. My daughter often tells me that aging isn't about just physical disability but growing stagnant. I fear that more than anything else thus my posts on the topic.

@Trinity11

we tell this to my mother all the time. she will be 78 this year.

we have taught her to use her computer and laptop and her flip phone (LOL, we wont get her a smart phone because the flip is just fine for her needs.)

search for subjects.

receive and send emails.

do her banking online.

pay her bills or check their status online.

she has a facebook, although she doesnt use it often.

she knows how to get directions.

she likes keeping as current as possible. some of her friends who are 90 are doing it all also.

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

When posters here share they use a flip phone it reminds me of someone saying they have a black and white television and refuse to progress to color.

The demographics that post here ...a lot of us this new technology takes an open mind to accept. 

@Trinity11    @Jubilant 

I have a laptop that is just about always with me, so why would I need a smart phone?  My phone is used for calls and voice mail, period, and the keys are larger like a blackberry, so it's easier to use.

When my niece asked me if I wanted to get a smartphone I said I would if I thought it would improve the quality of my life .... but, truthfully,  it really wouldn't.  And, excuse the snarky comment, but someone who actually thinks they need to pay $600+ for a telephone needs their head examined!  JMO

Esteemed Contributor

If those who do not use social media or the latest technology do not want to be criticized then perhaps they should not criticize those who do.  And vice versa.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.