Honored Contributor

Re: Backlash against Social Media--Will it ever Happen?

@SilleeMee wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

The mid 2000s?

The first iPhone was released in June, 2007.

@SilleeMee, think about "The mid 2000s?" :-)

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Honored Contributor

@Mona_L wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

Lots of people use social media (in this case, Facebook)

as Irritainment.

It’s fun to judge others, many which are their own family,

with a ‘tsk, tsk-how dare they’ but they always go back for more.

You said a mouthful as usual, and quite judgemental I might add.  Tsk-Tsk.

Annnnnnnd, there we go. 🤣

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee wrote:

@RoughDraft wrote:

The mid 2000s?

The first iPhone was released in June, 2007.

I just wondered how we got to 2050 without my knowing about it.  Woman LOL

@SilleeMee

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

These boards are the only social media I do.  I have never been interested in facebook.  I hear too many stories like op's and just choose not to go there.

Don't you think there is such a thing as too much communication going on today?  We seem to need constant entertainment and not want to be alone with our own thoughts. So many opinions!  I remember when I had the shocking thought several years ago....that this world would go on just fine without all my thoughts and opinions and maybe....just maybe....I should keep a few of them to myself!!

***********I edited this to say maybe I should have used the word "talking" instead of communication.  There is a difference.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

I'm a Luddite.

but you are using an electronic device and posting on social media.......

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein
Respected Contributor

@JBKO wrote:

HI everyone! I try to keep social media to a very minimum. It never appealed to me since I tend to be a private person and quite dislike taking pictures. This weekend my cousin had a gender reveal party and she posted a video (she's having a girl) on Facebook. Her mom, called to tell her sister which is my mother that my cousin was upset because she hadn't commented on the post yet. My mom was busy with other things for crying out loud. Jeez! People live for likes.

I love the internet and online shopping, but i must say that I preferred how things were back in the mid 2000s. Smartphones have turned us into an image-obsessed world preoccupied with taking selfies and projecting a false impression of a perfect life.

Always curious to hear what you all feel.

I keep wondering that myself.   Everything is a picture now.  And people want their 15 minutes of fame.  I got off of FB and never looked back.  

Honored Contributor

@suzyQ3 wrote:

What is this fascination with still using a flip phone? :-)

ITA! 

“We still use an outhouse!”

Ah...the western world does have indoor plumbing

“We store our life savings in shoe boxes & mattresses!”

Ah...we have banks these days.

“We still drive a Pinto!”

Ah...that’s probably not the safest..

I would think if someone is that ‘anti-establishment’ to think

they’re making a statement with a particular type of phone,

I would think they wouldn’t be using a phone at all.  

Go Big or Go Home. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Four years ago, I wrote about having no regrets for being a “dumb phone” user. At the time I was an anomaly: 58% of Americans, according to Pew researchers, owned a smartphone; that figure was around 80% for people in my age demographic. Now, I’m a clear oddity: 77% of U.S. adults are smartphone users, as are around 90% of my peers.

But, oh well. I don’t plan on changing tack anytime soon. Here’s why.

Related: My Life Without A Smartphone

WHY I STILL DON’T HAVE SMARTPHONE FOMO

All the reasons why I was happy to live without a computer in my pocket four years ago still hold true today: Certain choices are easier to make without digital temptation, like reading physical books on my commute and being fully present with my friends at meals. But there are new reasons, too.

Like many Americans, I’ve found the news cycle pretty draining since the 2016 presidential election. Being cut off from push notifications when I’m not at my desk hasn’t made me feel uninformed, but it’s probably helped me keep a shred more of my sanity (and has made “unplugging” on vacations a lot easier).

Something else has changed in my life that’s further solidified my low-tech commitment: I’ve become a parent. Many parents are becoming more deliberate about choosing how and when to introduce tech into their children’s lives. For what it’s worth, the American Academy of Pediatrics recommends limited or no screen time at all before age 2.

But aside from which gadgets we expose our son to, I’m also conscious of how my own tech usage impacts his view of the world (my husband, it should be noted, doesn’t own a smartphone, either). There are countless articles about how being raised on smartphones and social media has led a generation of kids to be depressed and lack empathy. And the number of tech executives from Bill Gates to former Facebook exec Chamath Palihapitiya who limit or ban tech for their own children is starting to give some parents pause. (Fast Company is planning an article on parents’ feelings about their kid’s use of tech–click here to participate in the survey).

What’s less discussed is the impact of parents who themselves can’t help compulsively checking their phones–by some estimates, as often as 46 to 85 times a day. I certainly don’t plan to shield my son from technology. Once he starts school it would be impossible anyway, and to do so would be a huge disservice. But just as I’ve found in my own life, there’s a way to stay informed about and proficient in technology while setting boundaries around how much it infiltrates my life. For him, that will start with seeing that his parents don’t prioritize a little glowing rectangle over looking each other’s faces.

I happen to be a flip phone gal myself and my reasoning is much the same as this article.

Esteemed Contributor

It is rather sad that so many have such a narrow perception about social media.  I belong  to several facebook groups, some open others invitation only.  Those of us with common interests or participate in various activities can communicate with eachother.  Some people I know personally but not all.  Even the local police department participates.  I will often get posts about accidents closing roads.  They even post pictures of lost dogs they pick up so the owners can come and get them before they are taken to the county pound.  So cal media is just another was to be social.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Oh geesh...mid 2000...lol!Smiley LOL