Super Contributor

Re: Backlash against Social Media--Will it ever Happen?

Facebook is usually a "brag-fest."

My brother-in-law and his now 2nd wife recently moved to the beach, posting pics of a $300 lobster dinner at their new country club (& a lot of wine)--with the caption "This is why we moved to the shore." .... assuming we would all envy their new lifestyle.   

Come to find out, the dinner was posted by the 2nd wife, and the meal was for her and her daughter (from 1st marriage).  My husband's brother wasn't even there for some reason, but he got the credit card bill.  Fast forward, ..... the "daughter" doesn't speak to him now because he told her to "get out and find a job."   She's in her 30's and moved in with them last yr.

Why can't people just tell the truth--no, we are not jealous of your meals you post on Facebook and DON'T CARE EITHER.

Honored Contributor

Lots of people use social media (in this case, Facebook)

as Irritainment.

It’s fun to judge others, many which are their own family,

with a ‘tsk, tsk-how dare they’ but they always go back for more.

Respected Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

The mid 2000s?

LOL :-)

Super Contributor

@sidsmom wrote:

Lots of people use social media (in this case, Facebook)

as Irritainment.

It’s fun to judge others, many which are their own family,

with a ‘tsk, tsk-how dare they’ but they always go back for more.

You said a mouthful as usual, and quite judgemental I might add.  Tsk-Tsk.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

What is this fascination with still using a flip phone? :-)

Come on. Whether you use FB or or any other social media platform (yes, this board qualifies), it starts to sound coot-ish to moan and groan about it.

I mean, thank goodness for Twitter. Its rabid adherents, especially  those who stay up all night ranting, have shown us their true stripes.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Trusted Contributor

I have always been awed by how much personal things people share on social media.  Pictures of their kids, house, what they eat for every meal.  Crazy.  No wonder hackers have a field day with all this information out there.  Sorry, I am not interested in going on Facebook to look at pictures of my friend's kids, what remodeling they did on their house, vacation pictures, or what the latest food fad is.  If my friends don't want to contact me another way, oh well.  Sometimes a LOT LESS is more.  JMO.

Trusted Contributor

@JJsMom wrote:

Social media isn't going anywhere. It's how people share information these days. Of course there are negatives to social media too, and I don't discount that, but if  you choose to not participate, accept that you may be left behind.

I have a friend who is so proud to not be on social media and thinks it's evil yet she is always asking me what's going on at school, in sports, with neighborhood get togethers, etc. Sorry, but that is how people and organizations communicate now, and you need to get with the times if you want to keep up.

Sorry, I think that is a bunch of bunk.  I do not have to get with the times to keep up.  You know how ridiculous that sounds?  

Trusted Contributor

@Mona_L wrote:

Facebook is usually a "brag-fest."

My brother-in-law and his now 2nd wife recently moved to the beach, posting pics of a $300 lobster dinner at their new country club (& a lot of wine)--with the caption "This is why we moved to the shore." .... assuming we would all envy their new lifestyle.   

Come to find out, the dinner was posted by the 2nd wife, and the meal was for her and her daughter (from 1st marriage).  My husband's brother wasn't even there for some reason, but he got the credit card bill.  Fast forward, ..... the "daughter" doesn't speak to him now because he told her to "get out and find a job."   She's in her 30's and moved in with them last yr.

Why can't people just tell the truth--no, we are not jealous of your meals you post on Facebook and DON'T CARE EITHER.

I totally agree.  Well said!

Respected Contributor

I'm a Luddite.

Honored Contributor

@RoughDraft wrote:

The mid 2000s?

The first iPhone was released in June, 2007.