Respected Contributor

Re: Backlash against Social Media--Will it ever Happen?

Social media isn't going anywhere. It's how people share information these days. Of course there are negatives to social media too, and I don't discount that, but if  you choose to not participate, accept that you may be left behind.

I have a friend who is so proud to not be on social media and thinks it's evil yet she is always asking me what's going on at school, in sports, with neighborhood get togethers, etc. Sorry, but that is how people and organizations communicate now, and you need to get with the times if you want to keep up.

If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor. ~ Desmond Tutu
Honored Contributor

I won't ever do FaceBook, Twitter, etc.  I do use computer to directly connect with people I know and to do online shopping.  By the way, from what I have read these "gender reveal parties" are a big thing now.  Can be a cake that when it is cut is blue or pink inside, open a box of balloons and they fly out either pink or blue.  I saw one on my home page that showed a Dad showing disappointment in the gender and that "went viral."   

Honored Contributor

I think that Dad just learned he was having a FIFTH daughter.  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@JBKO wrote:

HI everyone! I try to keep social media to a very minimum. It never appealed to me since I tend to be a private person and quite dislike taking pictures. This weekend my cousin had a gender reveal party and she posted a video (she's having a girl) on Facebook. Her mom, called to tell her sister which is my mother that my cousin was upset because she hadn't commented on the post yet. My mom was busy with other things for crying out loud. Jeez! People live for likes.

I love the internet and online shopping, but i must say that I preferred how things were back in the mid 2000s. Smartphones have turned us into an image-obsessed world preoccupied with taking selfies and projecting a false impression of a perfect life.

Always curious to hear what you all feelThese aren't social media problems, these are people problems. Social media has changed the triggers, but there have always been people who need more outside validation than others, people who suffer from anxiety, and people who pretend to be something they are not. 

Those aren't social media problems, those are people problems. If we didn't have social media, people would still have those problems. 

Why aren't you liking my photo on Facebook used to be why didn't you notice my new look or why don't you ever notice me/compliment me?

Why aren't you texting me back used to be why don't you ever call me  or why didn't you answer the phone when I called you or why don't you ever come over/where were you when I came over and no one answered the door?

And pretending to have the perfect life on Instagram is the same as keeping up with the Jones, pretending to be a happy family and staying in a marriage that wasn't working and going to church every Sunday when one or both spouses are cheating during the week or drinking too much or beating someone at home. 

Social media has changed, but people have not and we can't blame social media for behaviors that existed long before computers and just look a little different today.

Honored Contributor

The only thing I would be concerned about is if there is any cake left from the party.  Just eat cake and do not worry about the rest.

"Live frugally, but love extravagantly."
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@IMW wrote:

Dh and I don’t use social media at all. As you stated, we want our privacy and security. We also have flip phones.

@JBKO wrote:

HI everyone! I try to keep social media to a very minimum. It never appealed to me since I tend to be a private person and quite dislike taking pictures. This weekend my cousin had a gender reveal party and she posted a video (she's having a girl) on Facebook. Her mom, called to tell her sister which is my mother that my cousin was upset because she hadn't commented on the post yet. My mom was busy with other things for crying out loud. Jeez! People live for likes.

I love the internet and online shopping, but i must say that I preferred how things were back in the mid 2000s. Smartphones have turned us into an image-obsessed world preoccupied with taking selfies and projecting a false impression of a perfect life.

Always curious to hear what you all feel.

This forum is the only "social media" in which I participate. (Thanks sidsmon.)

Honored Contributor

Aren't the QVC forums a form of social media?? And I read far more "business" and private stuff here than I read on Facebook. I see plenty of photos here and lots of "sharing."

Honored Contributor

@beckyb1012 wrote:

The only thing I would be concerned about is if there is any cake left from the party.  Just eat cake and do not worry about the rest.

@beckyb1012  lmao   You can never go wrong with cake.  Ever.

Signed,

Cakers

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@deepwaterdotter wrote:

@IMW wrote:

Dh and I don’t use social media at all. As you stated, we want our privacy and security. We also have flip phones.

Same for husband and me.

Spoiler alert:

This forum is social media, so yes...you do use social media.

Respected Contributor

@JBKO  OMG, I could have written your post!  I couldn't agree with you more.  I refuse to become a slave to social media, and my phone is probably a lot smarter than I am........it's used for occasional texting and to check the daily weather forecast.

Laura loves cats!