Trusted Contributor

Backlash against Social Media--Will it ever Happen?

HI everyone! I try to keep social media to a very minimum. It never appealed to me since I tend to be a private person and quite dislike taking pictures. This weekend my cousin had a gender reveal party and she posted a video (she's having a girl) on Facebook. Her mom, called to tell her sister which is my mother that my cousin was upset because she hadn't commented on the post yet. My mom was busy with other things for crying out loud. Jeez! People live for likes.

I love the internet and online shopping, but i must say that I preferred how things were back in the mid 2000s. Smartphones have turned us into an image-obsessed world preoccupied with taking selfies and projecting a false impression of a perfect life.

Always curious to hear what you all feel.

A friend in need is a friend indeed.
Honored Contributor

Re: Backlash against Social Media--Will it ever Happen?

@JBKO wrote:

HI everyone! I try to keep social media to a very minimum. It never appealed to me since I tend to be a private person and quite dislike taking pictures. This weekend my cousin had a gender reveal party and she posted a video (she's having a girl) on Facebook. Her mom, called to tell her sister which is my mother that my cousin was upset because she hadn't commented on the post yet. My mom was busy with other things for crying out loud. Jeez! People live for likes.

I love the internet and online shopping, but i must say that I preferred how things were back in the mid 2000s. Smartphones have turned us into an image-obsessed world preoccupied with taking selfies and projecting a false impression of a perfect life.

@JBKO  There's your answer.  Mom enabled her daughter being upset. 

Is there a prize or something for getting "likes"?  LOL

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Respected Contributor

The mid 2000s?

~The only difference between this place and the Titanic is that the Titanic had a band.~
Trusted Contributor

I agree with you totally.  I love it for some of my shopping.  I like to search for news articles on it - but I still love my newspaper.  I rarely go to my FB page - only for recipe postings by relatives.  I'm so over looking at people make the same dumb poses for selfies, etc.  Lots of it seems like showing off (FB pages) even by adult women.  Most of the men I know aren't posting on FB.  I wish we could go back, too.     

Respected Contributor

Dh and I don’t use social media at all. As you stated, we want our privacy and security. We also have flip phones.

@JBKO wrote:

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

While I don't begrudge others the choice, I just flat don't do social media at all.     It's just not for me.  

I've heard these types of things before - somebody says/texts/posts something and doesn't get instant responses for it and they freak out.   yikes!  Not my kind of thing at all.

I do also agree that it's all gotten pretty out of hand but I don't think it will ever go back, or get better.  I think it will get worse in a number of ways.  

Respected Contributor

@JBKO Tell, Mom to totally ignore. So is everyone  supposed to acknowledge , she is haveing a baby? Also it can only be a boy or a girl. Never heard of a gender party, What next Lord? But to call and say you never acknowledge? So what.? I'm 84 years old, am not a stick in the mud, but think the world has lost their sense of being reasonable.Tell Auntie to call Mom when she has it, that will be soon enough, to know. I'm an educated person, have a smart phone, and a computer, but I want nothing to do with Facebook, Twitter and all the rest of the tripe that is out there. To each his own, but lots of hard feelings with this stuff.

Esteemed Contributor

No - money talks.

Honored Contributor

Why did the daughter tell her mom?

Why did your aunt tell your mom?

Why did your mom tell you?

Why did you continue to tell the tale on an anonymous forum?

It’s not ‘social media’...it’s the people.

People were doing this before social media was even invented.

Hissy fits have been hissy fits since time began. 

Honored Contributor

Yeah, I think all those 90 year olds might rise up and give "social media" a darn good thashing.   I don't really understand what your gripe is other than some silly relatives stuff but that happened when humas when sitting around their campfires howing at the moon.