Honored Contributor

Re: Back up cameras in new cars, (and other new features).

On 1/29/2015 sunshine45 said:

my favorite newer features though........HEATED and AIR CONDITIONED SEATS!

My favorite is a heated steering wheel.

Esteemed Contributor

Our Subaru has a camera in the review mirror. My husband loves it.

I like you, was used to turning my head to look my entire life. So I don't love the camera. Now I have plates in my neck and can only turn it so far. I hardly drive anymore due to spine issues etc etc. but when I do I have to have someone look. The camera does NOT help when backing out of our driveway. It sees behind you, but NOT up and down the street. So yeah the camera is nice but you still have to turn your head to look up and down the street when backing out of a driveway, etc. like I stated.

I do like those new Fords that park themselves. My husband should have that.. lol. He has trouble parallel parking from always pulling in driveways his whole life. I on the other hand lived in the city and so I could put a mack truck in a VW space! lol. (well almost).

And in the end, the love you take is equal to the love you make~ The Beatles
Respected Contributor

I have the backup camera and I use it all the time. It has a warning system too that beeps with a message of a vehicle/object coming from the right or left side. I have seen too many people completely ignoring the backup lights on the car and keep on walking behind me. They seem to come from nowhere-blind spots I guess.

One feature of the camera that I use each and every time I park is to check to make sure I am safely within the white parking lines. I park, put the car in reverse with my foot on the brake and look at the viewing screen. If I'm too close to one line or the other I can re-park the car. Then I put the car in park, set the emergency brake and go on my merry way.

The collision avoidance system will do more than alert you to blind spots. Those are two different systems. The collision avoidance system will literally take over the braking of your car if you are in imminent danger of a collision. It happened to me only once when driving my husband's car. Some yah-hoo decided to cross three lanes of traffic to make a right turn when he was almost at the light. I hit the brake at the same time the car braked so I knew my reflexes were still okay! It could have been a very costly collision. I made doubly sure my new vehicle was equipped with this. Of course the flashing lights and warning bells scare the daylights out of you-

Super Contributor

On 1/29/2015 raven-blackbird said:

the ONE BEST advantage of a back up camera is............it does see a small child behind your car or the family pet..........someone just backing up the "old way" doesn't...........it sees what you don't........................................raven

Yes, and this is why we like ours. We've had them in our last 4 vehicles but we still look around even though our cars beep.

Honored Contributor

ILOVE my back up camera. It has absolutely made me a better driver.
Valued Contributor

On 1/29/2015 KathyPet said: My new car has both the back up camera and the accident avoidance but my favorite feature is the yellow warning light that,appears on my,side view mirrors when a vehicle is in the blind spot on either side of the car.

I have that too. When test driving the car it went off when I was changing lanes. I avoided the accident but the saleslady said it was her first time getting the finger on a test drive. lol

Honored Contributor

I mainly use the backup camera when I'm backing into the garage. I rarely usually use it for backing out of parking spaces. This time of year I rarely use it because it's dirty. Snow, salt, sand make it impossible to use. Unless the weather is clear for a number of days, I won't wash the car.
Super Contributor

I saw the 2015 Honda commercial this morning. Nicely done. Trick photography or computerized or that many "good" drivers in sync backing into those spots? No matter, nicely done!

Honored Contributor

I thought I would add to my other post. While some of the new technology is good and can help in certain situations, I have found few that actually take the place of me moving my head and my eyes. Now when it comes to creature comforts such as heated seats and or a steering wheel, now that is a feature that I can see for those that want to spend the extra money.We have A 2004 SUV and it came with backup light beepers, While this feature does help at times, it does not replace me turning my head to see what is behind me. Now with 60 years of accident free driving I will stick with my instincts and my experiences. When I can no longer rely on those instincts and experience my driving days will be over.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I haven't read the posts, but back-up lights would be very beneficial in my area. Around here, people (usually rushing moms) are in such a hurry that most of them don't bother looking to see whether anyone is walking behind them. I'd like to see an alarm to alert THE DRIVER when someone is walking behind the car. (Children, elderly folks, driver's pets, etc.)

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).