Respected Contributor

Re: Back up cameras in new cars, (and other new features).

On 1/29/2015 terrier3 said:
On 1/29/2015 CouponQueen said:

I am not too crazy about the fob/keyless entry lol..

I was backing up in Walmart one night and I noticed a lady and her young son walking towards the back of my car..when she seen I was starting to back up she literally drug the kid and herself right behind me..I of course stopped as the warnings went off..she was totally visible..

I rolled my window down and told her I had seen what she just done, I said "you do realize I have a back up camera..." and that she wasn't counting on newer cars having a back up camera...she said she didn't do anything she seen my pulling out and was trying to hurry past me..I said really you dragged your kid a car length to get behind me as I was pulling out ..so you could get past me?? Not believing your story lady..

Oh I knew exactly what she was doing..she was going to say I ran over her foot or something silly like that..but technology foiled her plan.

Do you REALLY think a woman would risk her life and her child's in order to sue you???

I absolutely do! I am not one who jumps to conclusions but from what I literally sat and watched I sure do..believe she was looking to get bumped.. If I didn't witness her myself I would of been skeptical too...

Nobody's life was in any type of danger. I was slowly backing out of a spot not zooming down the road at 30..she wasn't going to get injured..she was going to get bumped..more her foot ran over..something like that..guarantee it.

Honored Contributor

The more that is done FOR the driver? Could it mean even less focus on the task on hand, which should be driving? I prefer relying less on technology, and some call me a techno-geek, and more on my driving experiences. Most all electronics fail and it is seldom known when.
hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

I think back up cameras are great - especially for parallel parking. They are also good if you are backing up in a SUV because you can see what is below your window - something you could not do before they came with cameras. WE also have the side to side and front crash avoidance - they are good for people who would otherwise be tailgaters but otherwise I find them pretty useless. Expensive toys.

Honored Contributor

I love the back up camera feature which appears in my rear view mirror as well as beeps. I really love the blind spot indicator cameras on either side of my side view mirrors.

My car is not too old-- 2012.

☼The best place to seek God is in a garden. You can dig for him there. GBShaw☼
Honored Contributor

I think those of us that have been driving since before power windows, and even air conditioning was considered "necessary", probably would find this to be yet another helpful tool, but wouldn't be comfortable relying solely on just that. I think long time drivers, who had to get by without all the gadgets and gizmos that are out now, still practice the old and safe methods. Having something like this would just be another safeguard, and I'd think I'd like it.

What I worry about is the very young drivers, who, with all this technology doing your thinking and controlling, won't develop good 'manual' safety practices and routines, and that could be quite dangerous.

Honored Contributor

My new car has the camera as well, it was a feature that I did not want but it' there and I do use it but hold habits die hard...I still turn and look at times. What I really wanted is heated seats, which I did not get.......

edited to add my DH's car has the back up beep noise (no camera) which I think I would have preferred.

Respected Contributor

Backup cameras are a great idea. Out here most have their windows tinted because of the extreme temperatures during the summer but after a few years the sun and heat will cause the film on the rear window to bubble and discolor which greatly distorts your vision. I see cars with this problem everyday on the road. Getting the film off is not easy and mine would not come off and so I replaced the entire glass through Safelite. I will never have a tinted film placed on the back window again.

Honored Contributor

I have the back-up camera on the car I bought for myself last year.

I still look, but I really like the camera, especially for backing out of parking lot spaces. You can't really watch the front and the back at the same time and I worry about those people who come seemingly from nowhere and will walk right behind you AS you're backing out.

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Super Contributor

On 1/29/2015 momtodogs said:

My new car has the camera as well, it was a feature that I did not want but it' there and I do use it but hold habits die hard...I still turn and look at times. What I really wanted is heated seats, which I did not get.......

edited to add my DH's car has the back up beep noise (no camera) which I think I would have preferred.

That is what I have now, the beeping which beeps faster the closer you get to hitting something. Smiley Wink

Honored Contributor

one of my older cars has a backup camera AND the sensors around the car that begin beeping once you get close to anything.....2006, so they have been around for a while. it is a nice feature but i also move my body and neck to check things out......by habit i suppose.

my favorite newer features though........HEATED and AIR CONDITIONED SEATS!

"The world is a dangerous place, not because of those who do evil, but because of those who look on and do nothing." - Albert Einstein