Trusted Contributor

Back up cameras in new cars, (and other new features).

A few months ago, I had to buy a new car. I wanted a reliable, small car with no bells and whistles. I got what I wanted except that it came with a back up camera. There's a little screen in the dash. Whenever you put the car in reverse-the camera comes on. They have red, yellow, and green markers on the screen, to 'guide' you while backing up.

Well, I learned to back up the old way. Twisting my neck, using my mirrors. I have had to train myself to glance at the screen to make sure there's nothing outside of my field of vision.

At first, I thought it was an expensive gimmick, but now I think it's a nice feature. I just hope drivers wouldn't rely on it, and stop using their mirrors. There's things that the camera won't show you-you still have to look around.

Another new feature is the 'crash avoidance' system. I didn't get it, but apparently it warns you when the car is too close, and still moving towards an object. Again, I feel that an attentive driver is responsible for avoiding hitting things in their path.

Honored Contributor

Re: Back up cameras in new cars, (and other new features).

I have a back up camera. I still turn my head too. I just can't totally rely on it.

Respected Contributor

It is a nice feature. I think there is a written warning that come up on my screen when the "R" is engaged that says check your surroundings. I also have crash avoidance. There is a yellow triangle that shows up in the side mirrors when a car is next to me. If I drift into another lane a beep sounds. I can also feel a vibration in the steering wheel. If I start to change lanes and a car is next to me a red triangle pops up in the side mirrors, a beep sounds, the steering wheel vibrates and I can feel the car brake slow the car down a bit. It takes some getting used to but I like it.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Respected Contributor

I have one too but I still look...if a person walks in the lines when you have car in reverse and haven't moved it beeps.

I have the blind spot monitoring system too..where it warns you of a car in your blind spot..and also when a car is too close on each side there is a warning light on the mirrors.

All great features but I do a lot of major highway driving and I still use my eyes.

Respected Contributor

I also think by next years it is mandatory for all cars to have one installed.

Valued Contributor

I love my backup camera. It is so useful in parking lots when backing out of a parking space. Mine has a large screen and an alarm. I also like the keyless entry. No more searching for my key. I keep it in my pocketbook and forget about it.

Honored Contributor

My husband's vehicle has the back up feature and I love it. I can not wait to get a new car and have this feature as well.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

**Careful... I have caps lock and I am not afraid to use it.**
Respected Contributor

I am not too crazy about the fob/keyless entry lol..

I was backing up in Walmart one night and I noticed a lady and her young son walking towards the back of my car..when she seen I was starting to back up she literally drug the kid and herself right behind me..I of course stopped as the warnings went off..she was totally visible..

I rolled my window down and told her I had seen what she just done, I said "you do realize I have a back up camera..." and that she wasn't counting on newer cars having a back up camera...she said she didn't do anything she seen my pulling out and was trying to hurry past me..I said really you dragged your kid a car length to get behind me as I was pulling out ..so you could get past me?? Not believing your story lady..

Oh I knew exactly what she was doing..she was going to say I ran over her foot or something silly like that..but technology foiled her plan.

Honored Contributor

My BFF had a Suburban pull out & hit his moving car in a parking lot. Her reason? I swear to God...."my reverse camera isn't working". Ah, is your neck broken?? If I want to see him twist off, I just mention backup cameras!! Yes, it's a nice feature, but it's a sign of our world is becoming Totally Idiocracy!!

Respected Contributor

Just this AM, I was listening to the radio and a commercial came on advertising this feature on new cars at a local dealership. At the end, they gave a disclaimer that you cannot rely 100% on the back up cameras. (Not those exact words.) I had never heard this disclaimer before. I expect someone has had accidents.

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York