Esteemed Contributor

It’s a shame that we even have to ask for the extra stuff. If you can afford it refresh the list after Christmas. Especially tissues, hand sanitizer and markers and pencils and paper. It just doesn’t last long and I always appreciate parents who do that. Even if it’s just one item it helps so much. Thanks for all who can donate. ❤️❤️

Trusted Contributor

Hmmm, I feel sorry for the kids whose parents can't afford to provide $200+ per child. We all know how kids can be and in school, being different isn't good.

Honored Contributor

@SahmIam   Yes, school districts are different in how they handle "lists".

Honored Contributor

@wishmoon  Speaking for MY COUNTY ONLY:

Children who are identified as lower income/needing financial assistance (via federal forms filled out for free school breakfast and lunch as well a free before and aftercare) are provided with a backpack filled with all school supplies required by their grade found on the list. These are supplied via our county taxes. If you're a homeowner, you are participating in this program. No child goes without. BTW, these backpacks are given out a week BEFORE school starts so all children arrive with their supplies at the same time- this way no child can be singled out by their peers.

Honored Contributor

Where I live the churches  band together ,and contribute school supplies, for those unable to buy them

It really is awful  that families have to purchase so much..

Honored Contributor

Re: Back to school supplies

[ Edited ]

The lists here are not mandatory, just suggestions. Private/charter schools may be different. Many school supply items are donated to the schools. (throughout the school year, as well) Teachers have to  pay for many things for the classroom out of their own check. Also, they spend many hours doing lesson plans etc, outside of the school set hours.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@I am still oxox wrote:

Back to school? It is July 7 school here ended about 2 1/2 weeks ago

Many schools start at the end of July, or have year round schedules.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Abrowneyegirl wrote:

Are back to school list the norm now or just in certain areas?

My friend (who is the Queen of thrifty shopping) has 3 children and each child has a different back to school classroom supply list based on age.

It is a list of things parents are expected to purchase to supply teacher with, from pencils to tissues and even cleaning wipes.

She completed one list and spent $208, she has 2 more to go, and she is thrifty and she bought the bare minimum.  I looked at the list and noticed it even specifies the brand name- no cheap crayons for this bunch.  !?!?

All this in addition to buying the supplies her own children like backpacks, paper, pens, calculator, etc.

What is really disturbing is we are in one of the wealthiest school districts in the state.  We have indoor and outdoor pools but can not supply cleaning wipes and hand sanitizer? .........wow

Is this the norm?

I really don't see how this list for one child can be $208,  Name brand items are on sale at Walmart, for really cheap. Are they including Clorox wipes, tissue and that type of items on the list? I would like to see a similar generic list. Are they asking for like 4 big bottles of hand sanitizer, 5 boxes of tissues type of request?  I would not  buy that quantity.  Nope.

Honored Contributor

@missy1   That list figure seems very excessive, doubtful that a teacher would be requesting that amount of expenditure.  Office Supply, Target usually have a $1.00 sale on markers, crayons, pencils....the dollar store is cheap for notebooks and paper.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Last summer year our library ran a school supply drive.

We have the main library and one small branch.

The smaller branch refused to take what we had to offer, the main branch refused to let my husband use a book cart to bring it all in from the car.

Never again will we participate.  We found another organization to give it to.