Respected Contributor

Re: Back to School Supplies- Crayola

I loved back to school shopping when my children were small. One of the things that I did to keep this feeling alive was to have a back to school happy hour in my neighborhood. One of my friends was a first grade teacher who taught in a school where most of the children qualified for free or reduced lunch. To help out I got the first grade supply list from her school and asked all of our friends to help supply her classroom. We collected a lot of supplies and she didn't need to purchase anything for months. Often the teachers in these schools have to furnish supplies for the children whose parents can't afford to buy supplies. We had a lot of fun doing this. 

Honored Contributor

Target is running some sales too.  I noticed back to school bargains in the sales circular I received yesterday. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

Speaking of Crayola products, does anyone remember learning how to color with fat crayons that had a flat side to them. I guess they started calling them anti-roll crayons years later.

I can't find a picture of Crayola brand however I did find a picture of  Besco brand.  

Image result for 1960's crayola anti roll crayons

I remember my older sisters using round crayons and me using the ones that had a flat back - easier for small hands.

Good times Woman Happy

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Trusted Contributor

@teainlondon wrote:

I love Back to School. It makes me happy and sad. It makes me happy because I taught for 45 years and sad because I had to retire before I wanted to as a result of health problems. Teaching was/is my life and passion. I spent most summers planning lessons for new students coming in. I would have taught for free; I loved it that much. I miss the classroom every day.

Have a great rest of your summer and look forward to your new year with your charges.

tea

I miss it too...I only taught for 23 years because it was a second career...but it was a wonderful experience working with the “little people” at the elementary level.  I also did after school tutoring during the school year and a summer pre k program. Now that I am retired, my grandkids are keeping me very busy since they are 1,2, and 6.  At least I get my “fix” being around them 😄.   When August rolls around...I always miss preparing to go back to school. 

Esteemed Contributor

My children are grown up now, but I remember that  excitable anticipation when the back to school sales started in our town.  I remember going with teachers' lists...trying to find all the supplies for the different school ages.  Always had Crayola items on the list and in my house.  Will never forget that Crayola scent!!

Honored Contributor

Yesterday BF and I went to two Office Depot stores in the area, so we each bought 48 items.  Today he went to golf in another area, so he bought me 24 more.  Sadly, that is still not enough for the school year for my department, so we'll have to watch out for more sales.  Walgreen's had good prices last year on Crayola and no limits, so I was able to get what we needed.  IIRC, Target limited their items and then when I ordered online, they could only fulfill a portion of it.  

Honored Contributor

Dollar General has the Crayola 12 pack of colored pencils for $1 and 24 crayons for $.50.  Topcashback.com gives 10% cash back today for DG.

Honored Contributor

The Target sale is on now too.

$.50 24-count crayons, $.99 10-count markers, and $.99-12 pack colored pencils.  If you are a teacher and verify your teacher ID through their link, you can save an additional 15% off through 7/20.

There wasn't a limit, but some items had different amounts offered.  Last year I tried to order through Target and only some items were shipped because of low stock.  

Honored Contributor

When ai was a kid, we bought our school supplies at the Rexall drugstore...if you spent $5.00, you got a free milkshake at their soda fountain. The place was a mob scene!