Respected Contributor

Back Up Cameras Can Be Installed on older cars !!!

I have a 2007 Avalon that I bought with 600 miles on it in 2010.  The car is in pristine condition with lots of extras....except backup camera which may not have been available then.

Since I really love this car, DH had it retrofitted with a backup camera.  Almost 78, it is sometimes difficult to turn my head around enough to exit a parking slot easily.

The monitor is mounted on the left side of the steering wheel right above the dashboard.  It works beautifully !!!

Got prices from some of the dealerships but one recommended an auto add-ons shop.  Took 3 hours and about $525.

So worth it because that car and I will be together hopefully for a long time

We make a living by what we get. We make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill
Honored Contributor

Re: Back Up Cameras Can Be Installed on older cars !!!

We had one installed on a 2017 Pickup.  Didn't realize it didn't have one!  Already has a huge touch screen on dashboard, I guess we figured it was a given.

But it doesn't make a beeping sound as our other cars do (even though you can easily see how close you are to an object behind you---it's that quicker beep that means it's not kidding--you're close!).

Also, I don't think it has the fisheye view as our other vehicles, it's more of a straight back view and not really around the sides.  Don't know if that makes sense.

But yes, it's a good thing to have for sure!

Esteemed Contributor

I am glad to see these backup cameras make it easier for you. For backing up, even out of our long curved driveway, my mirrors work just fine. The inside rearview mirror works great for a straight back up. For our curved driveway I use the 2 outside mirrors, that also have "blind spot mirrors" attached to them.

The only time I have felt a rearview camera would have helped? When a FedX weekend delivery person left a box directly next to our garage door. Had I not seen it prior to backing out our high SUV?  Would have ran right over it. Yes, i called FedX, and said "who the he!! leaves a box right next to a closed garage door"? 

With our 2-door gas miser(2-doors have much bigger door windows), the B pillar was far enough back I do not even need to turn my head to merge onto an Interstate. With our 4-door SUV I do, but very little because of the outside double mirrors.

Our 2004 SUV does have a backup sensor beeper, but it is too high to sense a low box sitting right next to our garage door. I get into our vehicle/start the motor/open the garage door and put on my shoulder/lap belt. Then proceed to back up and start turning for the curve.

Guess I needed an off, not so controversial, topic to ramble on about, sorry!

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

My 2005 Mercury has always had a back up sensor.  Sure does help when I'm trying to back out of my parking space in my townhouse community.  I'm sure it's not as sophisticated as current devices, but it's been helpful, for sure.

Respected Contributor

I now have a car with the back-up camera.  I actually don't really use it, my husband is always saying, "You have a camera."  I just can't get used to it.  I'm more comfortable looking around than looking at a screen. 

Honored Contributor

I just bought a new car and it has a back-up camera.  I prefer to turn my head and look but I do use it sometimes.

My DH has one on his truck and while it will get him in the vicinity for lining up to connect our camper, it's not spot on.    

Trusted Contributor

We have them on our vehicles.  My husband loves them but as I used to pitch in and drive the commuter van I got used to driving including backing up with my mirrors.  I still prefer to turn around and check.  Yes the beeping when someone is coming is helpful. I wish I felt comfortable using them but I have always felt there are still too many blind spots relying on the camera alone.  But that's just me.   

Esteemed Contributor

@RainyDayGal wrote:

I now have a car with the back-up camera.  I actually don't really use it, my husband is always saying, "You have a camera."  I just can't get used to it.  I'm more comfortable looking around than looking at a screen. 

@RainyDayGal  I have one, too, and can't get used to it. I've had the car for 4 years and still hardly use it. 

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Respected Contributor

My car is a 2014 model and I have a back up camera that I never use.  I am so used to turning my head to look behind me I never think of using it. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Our car has it.  I don't use it, don't like it.  My husband loves it.