Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl  You come first.  If you feel uncomfortable, stay home.  I am sure the MTB will understand.  We are living in different times right now.  I am a high risk person myself and have been staying home a lot.  I am not ready to die yet.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

If it was outside I would attend.  But no I would not attend an indoor event.

Respected Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am invited to an indoor baby shower in October.  Not sure how many people.  I know there are social distancing and mask requirements in place but I am not comfortable going to a function where I will only know my sister and the MTB.  I am 67 and have been very cautious about my outing to avoid Covid.  My sister understands(  it is her step daughter-in-law)  and said it's ok with her if I do not attend. I am not close with the MTB I would only go cause it is my sister's stepson/wife.  Am I being too cautious?

It's very obvious that you don't want to go. You said you're not close with the mother- to-be and would only go because it's your "sister's stepson/wife." Your sister has already said it was fine with her for you to not attend a shower for her "step daughter-law." Clearly you don't want to go anyway, so don't. Your sister can tell her stepson 's wife that you aren't coming and drop it.

Esteemed Contributor

@Pearlee wrote:
I'm with the others. I'd be uncomfortable too. I think you should include on a card your regrets and a short explanation of why didn't go, would have were it not for the pandemic, and appreciated having been invited.

People are not owed an explanation, unless you are trying to be passive aggressive concerning your dissatisfaction that they were having a function.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

You don't feel comfortable going, end of story.  Send your regrets.  If you want, send a gift card or check.

Honored Contributor

@Anonymous032819, your pandemic posts make my head spin. One day you say one thing; the next day, it's just the opposite.

~Who in the world am I? Ah, that's the great puzzle~ Lewis Carroll, Alice in Wonderland
Super Contributor

I'm sure they don't expect anyone in a high risk age group to go, but would have felt rude not including you in the guest list. They were just being polite, and you can just send your polite regrets, and know that they thought enough of you to extend the invitation. 

Respected Contributor

Re: Baby shower doubts...

[ Edited ]

@bargainsgirl - I wouldn't go, but that's just because I'd rather gargle glass than go to a shower. I think they're dreadful. I DO send a gift and my best wishes along with my "regrets that I'm unable to attend". That's all you need to do if you would rather not go. No further explanation is required. 

~The more someone needs to brag about how wonderful, special, successful, wealthy or important they are, the greater the likelihood that it isn't true. ~

Trusted Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am invited to an indoor baby shower in October.  Not sure how many people.  I know there are social distancing and mask requirements in place but I am not comfortable going to a function where I will only know my sister and the MTB.  I am 67 and have been very cautious about my outing to avoid Covid.  My sister understands(  it is her step daughter-in-law)  and said it's ok with her if I do not attend. I am not close with the MTB I would only go cause it is my sister's stepson/wife.  Am I being too cautious?

@bargainsgirl 

Congratulations!
No.  It is not too cautious to stay home.  It is the best for all.

Stay home.  Everyone will understand, and accept your decision.

~Do your part. Wear a mask, observe social distancing, wash hands. It is the patriotic thing to do.~ 🇺🇸😷

Respected Contributor

If your not close to the mother to be, how many others not close to the mother to be were also invited? If you're not close I wouldn't give it a second thought, or even send a gift. So many showers have become nothing but money grabs.