Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am invited to an indoor baby shower in October.  Not sure how many people. 

Then ask!  If the # is uncomfortable for your taste, don't go. 

If social distancing is not being practiced when you get there, turn around & leave. Simple as that.

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Valued Contributor
Just like poster said if you get sick, these people not gonna be the ones to take care of you or
keep it from your family!

I' m worried to death someone in shop gonna give to someone and I will feel so guilty even thou we have pulled out all stops in safety.

We are having a bad outbreak around here in churches.
Most did no precautions at all & some members have died, others on ventilator, others in hospital & others sick at home.
Heard the preacher on FB having a good time on vacation in mountains, one parishioner said.
Just be safe.
Super Contributor

Send a gift and good wishes.....we are in a different time and you must operate in a level that is comfortable for you....people understand your concerns....I am surprised that MTB is comfortable being in a group

Respected Contributor

You are not obligated to attend at all.  Anyone with empathy understands there will be those not comfortable attending a party during a pandemic.

Send a gift, and the mom-to-be will understand and be grateful, I'm sure.

Honored Contributor

I didn't even go to my own first grandchild's baby shower last month, because it was inside (why, I don't know, it was a beautiful day out) and they crammed 30 people into a basement rec room. 

I knew ahead of time there would be no one there we knew except the parents to be, there would be no social distancing, and no masks. 

Everyone knows I'm less than believing in the mask thing, but doing it to err on the side of caution, to protect my elderly mom, and wasn't going to subject myself or her to even the possibility of getting the virus, not even for my only son, and not even for my first grandchild. 

I have had to skip a wedding shower and wedding this summer as well, for some very good friend's daughter. 

I'm not happy about any of it, but it is what it is, and I haven't had a problem stating why we aren't attending (that we have an elderly compromised family member to be in contact with daily and can't risk it).

I have sent extra generous gifts though, since we can't attend, and because they were very special people and events to us.

Trusted Contributor

Why go if you're not comfortable?  You won't enjoy it, and it's fine to miss it.  Send a gift, best wishes, and call it a day.  No one questions anyone who decides not to go functions anymore.  It's a given there will be people who decline.  You probably won't be the first or the only one.  I did not go to my niece's wedding recently.  Neither my brother or sister attended so I didn't feel bad.  It was too far to drive up to VT and it was mostly her and her husband to be's friends.  Sent a nice gift, lots of love and best wishes and have no regrets.  You do for you.  Take care of you.  

Honored Contributor
I'm with the others. I'd be uncomfortable too. I think you should include on a card your regrets and a short explanation of why didn't go, would have were it not for the pandemic, and appreciated having been invited.

Honored Contributor

@bargainsgirl wrote:

I am invited to an indoor baby shower in October.  Not sure how many people.  I know there are social distancing and mask requirements in place but I am not comfortable going to a function where I will only know my sister and the MTB.  I am 67 and have been very cautious about my outing to avoid Covid.  My sister understands(  it is her step daughter-in-law)  and said it's ok with her if I do not attend. I am not close with the MTB I would only go cause it is my sister's stepson/wife.  Am I being too cautious?

@bargainsgirl   I don't think you can ever be too cautious. It's your decision, but if you have doubts, that tells you a lot. 

Esteemed Contributor

Follow your gut instinct and if people get upset.....so be it.  I've turned down cookouts, birthday parties for great nieces/nephews, etc. and don't care what others think.  Of course, I hate that I'm missing out but do not want to take the risk.

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

DD's friend had a baby shower a couple of months ago when we were still in massive shutdowns here and it was hot, hot, hot.  She opted not to go.  Dropped off a nice gift at the house the day before and sent a text explaining and the person giving the shower and the MTB  were completely understanding.   I think most people who are having any kind of gather have to understand if someone doesn't feel comfortable going.  If they don't understand, shame on them; not on you.