Esteemed Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I've read a lot of excuses for this woman, she was overwhelmed, had PPD, and the best, human. They could all be true but leaving a child is against the law and she is 100% responsible and should be held responsible. That she should get special treatment because she has small children is not equal justice. 

Apparently you are not aware of the legal concept of "extenuating circumstances". 

The use of extenuating circumstances would mean physical or mental impairment but not just you were distracted and due to a break of routine, you forgot your 2 month old baby in 100 degree heat wave.  I believe the young woman does have an issue but that is to be determined, I hope.  I probably would initiate physical evaluation myself if I did that.  But, I don't feel the excuse given explains the behavior and she was charged so I hope young Cherish gets some type of help. 

Esteemed Contributor

No one has ever said that an investigation and/or follow-up was not necessary, everyone wants to ensure the children are safe.  However the crucifixion this woman has taken on this board is absurd.  She has been accused of everything from purposely leaving her child behind to extreem mental health issues.  No one here actually knows this women or what was happening at the time, so how can any of you make these assumptions about this person.  Why do so many take such pleasure in tearing down others instead of offering support. Maybe that is what is wrong with society, always looking for faults in others rather than the good.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

I've read a lot of excuses for this woman, she was overwhelmed, had PPD, and the best, human. They could all be true but leaving a child is against the law and she is 100% responsible and should be held responsible. That she should get special treatment because she has small children is not equal justice. 

Apparently you are not aware of the legal concept of "extenuating circumstances". 

The use of extenuating circumstances would mean physical or mental impairment but not just you were distracted and due to a break of routine, you forgot your 2 month old baby in 100 degree heat wave.  I believe the young woman does have an issue but that is to be determined, I hope.  I probably would initiate physical evaluation myself if I did that.  But, I don't feel the excuse given explains the behavior and she was charged so I hope young Cherish gets some type of help. 

Whatever you choose to believe is fine, you apparently must be the expert in this field.  I will look for the good in people and live a much happier life.

Good Day

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@occasionalrain wrote:

Whatever you choose to believe is fine, you apparently must be the expert in this field.  I will look for the good in people and live a much happier life.

Good Day

Actually, I was in the field and I believe the compassionate thing for her and her baby is to evaluate her and get her the help she may need be it medical, psychological or assistance caring for 4 children at age 28.  To just chalk this up to a mistake, might be a fatal mistake for her infant.  I don't feel the woman is a criminal as her baby is in good physical condition as he was checked out in a hospital.  But, the story is troublesome and young mothers get overwhelmed which can lead to serious issues.  I am not looking for the bad in people and young Cherish is not bad as she is remorseful.  I am hoping she gets assistance or at least the realization that she is overwhelmed and not just distracted. 

Esteemed Contributor

No crime was committed imo.

Honored Contributor

If something had happened to the child, then the parent would be arrested.  As it was the child was recovered unharmed.  Child neglect charges are done after the fact.

Trusted Contributor

@Stray ... Thanks for being the voice of reason. Heart

Esteemed Contributor

@Bestdressed wrote:

@Bestdressed - I think it is a sad story and the woman must be horrified when she thinks about what she did and how it could have turned out.  In some larger city, the baby probably would have been taken.  I am sure after thinking about it, she is probably harder on herself than any critic. 

Esteemed Contributor

@songbird wrote:

If something had happened to the child, then the parent would be arrested.  As it was the child was recovered unharmed.  Child neglect charges are done after the fact.

However, she was charged....

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Bestdressed wrote:

@Bestdressed - I think it is a sad story and the woman must be horrified when she thinks about what she did and how it could have turned out.  In some larger city, the baby probably would have been taken.  I am sure after thinking about it, she is probably harder on herself than any critic. 

You can sit on my jury trial... any day of the week.Woman Wink