Honored Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

@Suzy CurlyQ wrote:

I have had two children very close together and I had surgeries with both of them. I understand when a woman is almost pushed too far physically and this can cause lapses in memory and logical thinking. But here is where I jump off and get mad...

Her child is not a lost purse, cell phone, keys. Her child is HER CHILD the one that she cannot replace!  There is no other child that will be her child. They are so precious! 

That being said it is time for this woman to have a complete physical! She needs classes or she needs jail time! Or she needs all three. There is something absolutely WRONG with this lady. At 27 you should be energetic and on top of it. And if you are not there is something wrong with you physically. Lady, get yourself checked out!!!!!!! 

What purpose do you think "jail time" would serve?  The woman has four small children.  Would putting her in jail help them?  I agree that she probably needs help, but I'd like to see a more sympathetic kind of help!

As someone else has already pointed out, none of us has any idea what her mental or physical state is.  She may be suffering from post partum depression.  Should we incarcerate her then?  For how long?  Do you think five years would straighten her out?  Ten???

I know, let's rip the family apart and take her kids away completely and put them in the hands of........who knows?  Take them away from the mother that I'm sure they love.  That will make everything better.

Did you see how distraught she was?  She could barely speak.  Do you think you could inflict any greater punishment on her than she is already inflicting on herself?

For heaven's sake people, show a little mercy and pray God you are never in any situation where others (total strangers) will condemn you so readily.

Trusted Contributor

There, but for the grace of God, go I. I am surprised at how people are reacting in a such negative way. Many without even reading the story. Never listening to her interview. I bet NO ONE feels as bad as this poor mother does right now. Hormones adjusting, sleep deprivation, heat, kids, time, stress, not being used to putting a baby into the car, just 'life' in general could easily leave a person flustered and absent minded. Intentional? Crime? Lock her up? There is something wrong with her? Makes me shake my head. Where has empathy gone? The drive was 40 minutes, she went right back as soon as she realized. The baby was in a hair salon. Was it a terrible incident? Absolutely. Could it have gone terribly wrong in another way? (such as the baby being abducted). Absolutely. So many things could have gone wrong. Thank goodness it turned out OK. Should she be evaluated for stress-induced memory lapses? Hormonal imbalance? Sure, but I bet this is just a terribly maladjusted young Mom rushing. The world does nothing but rush nowadays, it seems. I felt terrible for her when I watched the interview. She was horrified at herself! She was devastated. I have 4 adult kids. But I left my son at church one Sunday when he was 6. I thought my husband had him, and he thought I had him. We had gone in separate cars for some reason (one had to stop at the store for milk for the coffee/donuts social after church or something). We were home probably 15 minutes until one of us said "where is Jimmy?". In that moment when our eyes met, and we realized neither of us had him, my husband raced back to church and there he was, sitting in the pew, talking away with the priest that had just said mass. No cell phones back in those days, but the priest was sure someone would realize they forgot a kid and come back for him. The police were not called, I was not stoned to death by the public, and my son was just fine.
Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Venezia wrote:

@Suzy CurlyQ wrote:

I have had two children very close together and I had surgeries with both of them. I understand when a woman is almost pushed too far physically and this can cause lapses in memory and logical thinking. But here is where I jump off and get mad...

Her child is not a lost purse, cell phone, keys. Her child is HER CHILD the one that she cannot replace!  There is no other child that will be her child. They are so precious! 

That being said it is time for this woman to have a complete physical! She needs classes or she needs jail time! Or she needs all three. There is something absolutely WRONG with this lady. At 27 you should be energetic and on top of it. And if you are not there is something wrong with you physically. Lady, get yourself checked out!!!!!!! 

What purpose do you think "jail time" would serve?  The woman has four small children.  Would putting her in jail help them?  I agree that she probably needs help, but I'd like to see a more sympathetic kind of help!

As someone else has already pointed out, none of us has any idea what her mental or physical state is.  She may be suffering from post partum depression.  Should we incarcerate her then?  For how long?  Do you think five years would straighten her out?  Ten???

I know, let's rip the family apart and take her kids away completely and put them in the hands of........who knows?  Take them away from the mother that I'm sure they love.  That will make everything better.

Did you see how distraught she was?  She could barely speak.  Do you think you could inflict any greater punishment on her than she is already inflicting on herself?

For heaven's sake people, show a little mercy and pray God you are never in any situation where others (total strangers) will condemn you so readily.

I guess you are right. Jail time would be a bit harsh. I still feel though that this has to be evaluated by a doctor. I do understand being overly tired, over heated, rushed. I said I myself had had those feelings and I have felt overwelmed. So I do understand. But I guess my feelings are that perhaps she has let all of the other distractions be more important than her child. This is not a small thing and should not be swept under the rug.  I am glad though that it turned out ok and someone was there to step in and save the child. 40 minutes left outside in the Arizona heat  and you are 2 months old would probably mean death.  I can still be mad and my heart can still be WITH her.  

"Life finds a way." --- Ian Malcom Smiley Happy
Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

Not every issue similar to this should be blamed on post partem.

Yes, she is 27 and has 4 kids (which is  a lot of kids for her age Imo)

The problem I still have is she was gone for 40 minutes, according to the articles. 

Did she call the store or the police? Or was she hoping someone had the baby, and nothing would be reported, before she returned?

No, we don't know enough about her but I can see where she might be overwhelmed and distracted which are symptoms of PP depression And within the time frame.  I would rather believe that as an explanation than some alternative reasons. 

Super Contributor

I had my kids getting close to 30 years ago now....and this was my pregnancy nightmare. 

Did anyone else have pregnancy nightmares?  It happened a couple of times in each pregnancy and it was always me forgetting the baby in a shopping cart.  I never actually did it, but did threaten a misbehaving 3 year old once that he would be left in the cart return with the carts if he didn't change his attitude.

Esteemed Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

A young mother forgot her baby in a shopping cart for 40 minutes.  She claims she forgot her baby because she parked in a different parking space and was out of her usual routine.  Do you think she should be charged with a crime? 

She parks in the same space everytime she's at that store???

Life changes  everyday - this mother needs to deal with being out of her "usual routine".

While I don't believe she should be sent to jail she certainly should be held accountable - we don't know all her background so is it fair to say that perhaps there are other negative facts involved?  Or what she just simply stupid?

Yes, I believe there are facts we don't know....and the fact that you adhere to any set routine and a break from that routine causes you to be so distracted that you forget your 2 month old, well, it might be a symptom in itself? 

Esteemed Contributor

@Bella Carro wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

No....she made a terrible mistake.  I've never forgotten a baby but I have forgotten things that made me feel stupid.  I don't know her but if an investigation proves her to otherwise be a good mother, she deserves a pass.

I totally agree. 

I think it was more than a terrible mistake but not a criminal act...to be at the point of distraction where you forget your 2 month old in a shopping cart is a problem and this family needs follow up attention by a professional. 

There you go.  Before I'd pass judgement I would hope a social worker, psychologist, medical doctor or all would have an opportunity to check out the mom and family situation.  There are many, many mental health situations that go undiagnosed, swept under the rug, and denied.  

ITA 

Esteemed Contributor

@gmkb wrote:

I am curious how the 40 minute time period was determined, where was the child, where was the mother, why didn't someone notice a child sitting in a cart that long and investigate, how old was the child.  There are so many unknowns here; it doesn't make any sense.

Someone did notice the child, a client of the beauty salon, where the child was left (in front).  They in turn called the police and waited to see if the mother returned.  The baby was not in distress but was smiling and it was thought that the baby was not out in 100 degrees very long, thankfully.  They approximated the time while waiting, I imagine 

Esteemed Contributor

@puglet11 wrote:

Like others have said, I cannot fathom HOW a parent forgets a baby.  The baby is your heart and soul, your life!  I'm thinking there is something going on medically with this woman and rather than just get a wrist slap from the judge, perhaps she should be required to undergo a complete medical/psychological evaluation.

I agree....too many times, we overlook something which might be symbolic of a larger problem

Honored Contributor

Just as a poiint of interest in breaking a routine:

I inadvertently left my garage door open for several hours when I left the house yesterday.

I drove out of the garage and down the street, realized I'd forgotten something, turned around and parked near the entry to the driveway (shared by several other homes), and went into the house via the garage door.  I picked up the item, locked the door, and went back to the car.

When I got back into my car, I was not looking at the garage and just drove off, leaving the garage door fully open.  I only realized it when I returned home several hours later to see the garage door wide open. Nothing was touched.

I do not even have a smart phone, so there was none of that kind of distraction!

On the other hand, I would not have forgotten my dog anywhere.

So, make of that what you will.  It's easy to get distracted by a change in routine, but not realizing where a loved one is probably will need some sort of looking into.

[was Homegirl] Love to be home . . . thus the screen name. Joined 2003.