Honored Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

In this new-age world of the Internet and social media, so many people are quick to rush to judgement and condemn someone without knowing even a fraction of the facts.  Trial by social media.

From what I saw, the baby was in his car seat in the shopping cart, just outside the door of the shopping mall or stores.  Not out in the parking lot or in the direct sun.

I understood that she took her shopping to the car, which she had parked unusually close and so didn't need to return any cart to the store, taking her out of her normal routine.  (Have any of you left your purse in a cart at some point?  And please don't say it could never happen to you.)

Did she make a terrible mistake?  Obviously.  Did she probably feel utter terror, when she got home and realized?  I don't doubt it for a minute and wouldn't have wanted to be in her place, with the thoughts that must have been racing through her probably exhausted head.  (Four small children???  Trying to complete errands?)

So many people throwing out lines about "cell phones" and making accusations and assumptions that have no basis in fact.  Why not try to think about how you'd feel, if this had happened to you, and you were being pilloried by millions who know nothing about the real situation and you have no way to fight back or defend yourself.

Yes, thank God, the child was safe when she returned to the store.  And as Jesus said "Let he who is without sin, cast the first stone."  I'm certainly not, so I won't be casting any.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@willomenia wrote:

Of course! Probably on her cell phone instead of talking to her child like 90% of mothers out there. Somehow your child is only first on your mind when its convenient for you! 

And where did you get that "statistic" from?  I would think the actual percentage of mothers like that is remarkably small.

Honored Contributor

You would think the mother would take the baby out of the shopping cart and put her in the car first and then deal with the groceries. 

I just don't understand how things like this could happen.  She didn't realize when she got home the baby was missing either.  Very strange...

Honored Contributor

I just saw the photo.  I honestly just don't see how this could have happened. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't think it was a mistake. I believe it was deliberate abandonment. It's one thing to forget an out of sight child, one in the back seat, but the last thing she would have done, return the cart, would have had the child right in front of her. 

So, now instead of returning the cart, she left it and the baby unattended to load groceries into her car. Now we know her priorities.

Honored Contributor

It sounds like it was deliberate.  Smiley Sad

Honored Contributor

All's well that ends well and she was lucky this one did. Doubt that happens again!!!

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

A "terrible mistake" is 2+2=6, over and over again.  She left her baby in a shopping cart in a parking lot.  That is a crime.  How can you "forget" one of your children?  Give permanent custody of the kids to her husband.  She does not deserve "a pass".

Honored Contributor

I read she left the cart by her car, and was parked near the front of the store. She had her nephew with her. She is age 27 and has 4 kids. She didn't come back for 40 minutes. She is charged, and should be.

Respected Contributor

I wonder what time the stoning will commence? 

If this mother is suffering from any emotional or mental issues then I hope she will get help. That being said not one of you can ever know how truly bad she feels and she will never forget what she did.

I hope those of you that are judging her will think of her when you go to your houses of worship and say a prayer instead of a condemnation.