Honored Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

@Montana wrote:

There is a Pulitzer prize winning report on this subject: Fatal Distraction ... by Gene Weingarten.

Now there is something I definitely do NOT want to read!

Respected Contributor

I am curious how the 40 minute time period was determined, where was the child, where was the mother, why didn't someone notice a child sitting in a cart that long and investigate, how old was the child.  There are so many unknowns here; it doesn't make any sense.

Super Contributor

Like others have said, I cannot fathom HOW a parent forgets a baby.  The baby is your heart and soul, your life!  I'm thinking there is something going on medically with this woman and rather than just get a wrist slap from the judge, perhaps she should be required to undergo a complete medical/psychological evaluation.

Honored Contributor

KatCat1 wrote:

CRIMEThere is no way a woman would forget her child.  The first thing you do is place your children in their car seats.  I do not trust this woman for one second.  With the weather being 104 degrees you would be extremely cautious.  Shame on her.

And you would know this for a fact how?  You know what was in her mind and heart?  It must be wonderful to be so omnipotent.  The rest of us mere mortals will have to rely on the facts as they're reported and the expertise of doctors and other professionals to determine exactly what happened and what consequences should arise from this incident.

Shame on you.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

I wonder what time the stoning will commence? 

If this mother is suffering from any emotional or mental issues then I hope she will get help. That being said not one of you can ever know how truly bad she feels and she will never forget what she did.

I hope those of you that are judging her will think of her when you go to your houses of worship and say a prayer instead of a condemnation.

It took her 40 minutes to realize this "mistake"? This is a real problem.

An off duty officer found the baby thank goodness, and took them to the salon. 

Again what time is the stoning since all of her condemers are all perfect. 

No one posting here implied or said they are PERFECT. I'll bet that those posting here who have children NEVER left them in a shopping cart. This mother is NEGLECTFUL, plain and simple. Your defending her and making excuses for her regarding this matter is ABSURD.

Honored Contributor

@italia8140 wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

I wonder what time the stoning will commence? 

If this mother is suffering from any emotional or mental issues then I hope she will get help. That being said not one of you can ever know how truly bad she feels and she will never forget what she did.

I hope those of you that are judging her will think of her when you go to your houses of worship and say a prayer instead of a condemnation.

It took her 40 minutes to realize this "mistake"? This is a real problem.

An off duty officer found the baby thank goodness, and took them to the salon. 

Again what time is the stoning since all of her condemers are all perfect. 

No one posting here implied or said they are PERFECT. I'll bet that those posting here who have children NEVER left them in a shopping cart. This mother is NEGLECTFUL, plain and simple. Your defending her and making excuses for her regarding this matter is ABSURD.

This mother is HUMAN, plain and simple.

Respected Contributor

I have not read all the replies,so forgive me if I am repeating someone,I think the woman has mental issues, The proper authorities should check out her home,her background...does she have other kids?? You forget your purse,your keys,your phone,NOT a child!

Regular Contributor

I have had two children very close together and I had surgeries with both of them. I understand when a woman is almost pushed too far physically and this can cause lapses in memory and logical thinking. But here is where I jump off and get mad...

Her child is not a lost purse, cell phone, keys. Her child is HER CHILD the one that she cannot replace!  There is no other child that will be her child. They are so precious! 

That being said it is time for this woman to have a complete physical! She needs classes or she needs jail time! Or she needs all three. There is something absolutely WRONG with this lady. At 27 you should be energetic and on top of it. And if you are not there is something wrong with you physically. Lady, get yourself checked out!!!!!!! 

"Life finds a way." --- Ian Malcom Smiley Happy
Honored Contributor

Question.  Do we think this fatal distraction is becoming more commonplace........or is just being reported more?  It didn't seem like that long ago, if you 'left' your child, it was pretty much considered abandonment, no excuses........

Regular Contributor

@SydneyH wrote:

Question.  Do we think this fatal distraction is becoming more commonplace........or is just being reported more?  It didn't seem like that long ago, if you 'left' your child, it was pretty much considered abandonment, no excuses........

YEP. Fatal Distraction is a perfect phrase... I too feel that everyone is so ingrained in the cell phone usage. I wonder if this is the distraction that is causing the breakdown in society.   Too distracted by all manner of selfish stuff. Tweeting and then selfies, and then texting, all constant usage of the cell phone.  Constantly being connected to too many people other than the one sitting right next to you.   - Just thougts...

Lately I have heard of at least 5 different instances where a parent has left a child in a hot car knowing full well of the dangers that have been told to all of us for years now.             Loss of natural affection. 

"Life finds a way." --- Ian Malcom Smiley Happy