Honored Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

I will leave this matter to a judge to decide, but I find it quite disturbing for people to be so preoccupied / distracted, to let serious things like this happen.  

Trusted Contributor

These situations always make me wonder ~ How the heck do you forget a BABY?!?!  Seriously???  No kids here but we have three dogs and whenever we take one of them somewhere the dog(s) are always the first thing I retrieve, even before I grab my handbag! 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Smaug wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

A young mother forgot her baby in a shopping cart for 40 minutes.  She claims she forgot her baby because she parked in a different parking space and was out of her usual routine.  Do you think she should be charged with a crime? 

Parked in a different parking space? Does she have a space reserved for her? Sounds like a poor excuse. 

I don't know if what she did is criminal (not enough info) but it's certainly stupid. The baby could have been suffering in the hot sun. 

@Say Nay  My understanding from what I've seen on TV is that she normally pushes the empty cart back to a cart corral or to the store.   Since this one time she parked right in front of the store, she didn't have to push the "empty" cart anywhere when she was done loading her groceries in the car, so didn't notice she'd left the baby in it.

I don't "get" how it took 40 minutes for her to realize this.  I've left groceries behind in a cart accidentally before but realized it within the first five minutes of driving home and turned right around and got them, hoping they'd still be in the cart in the lot (and they were).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Not every issue similar to this should be blamed on post partem.

Yes, she is 27 and has 4 kids (which is  a lot of kids for her age Imo)

The problem I still have is she was gone for 40 minutes, according to the articles. 

Did she call the store or the police? Or was she hoping someone had the baby, and nothing would be reported, before she returned?

Honored Contributor

CRIME.  There is no way a woman would forget her child.  The first thing you do is place your children in their car seats.  I do not trust this woman for one second.  With the weather being 104 degrees you would be extremely cautious.  Shame on her.

kindness is strength
Honored Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

A young mother forgot her baby in a shopping cart for 40 minutes.  She claims she forgot her baby because she parked in a different parking space and was out of her usual routine.  Do you think she should be charged with a crime? 

She parks in the same space everytime she's at that store???

Life changes  everyday - this mother needs to deal with being out of her "usual routine".

While I don't believe she should be sent to jail she certainly should be held accountable - we don't know all her background so is it fair to say that perhaps there are other negative facts involved?  Or what she just simply stupid?

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

She parks in the same space everytime she's at that store???

Life changes  everyday - this mother needs to deal with being out of her "usual routine".

While I don't believe she should be sent to jail she certainly should be held accountable - we don't know all her background so is it fair to say that perhaps there are other negative facts involved?  Or what she just simply stupid?

Did you read my post about to Smaug?  It explains what she did. (according to her).

Honored Contributor

KatCat1 wrote:

CRIME.  There is no way a woman would forget her child.  The first thing you do is place your children in their car seats.  I do not trust this woman for one second.  With the weather being 104 degrees you would be extremely cautious.  Shame on her.

Well, maybe not if it's 104 degrees. You might want to leave them in the cart rather than in the car for as long as possible.  The car would be really hot.

Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@12andcounting wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

No....she made a terrible mistake.  I've never forgotten a baby but I have forgotten things that made me feel stupid.  I don't know her but if an investigation proves her to otherwise be a good mother, she deserves a pass.

I totally agree. 

I think it was more than a terrible mistake but not a criminal act...to be at the point of distraction where you forget your 2 month old in a shopping cart is a problem and this family needs follow up attention by a professional. 

There you go.  Before I'd pass judgement I would hope a social worker, psychologist, medical doctor or all would have an opportunity to check out the mom and family situation.  There are many, many mental health situations that go undiagnosed, swept under the rug, and denied.  

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

She should be charged but it might just be a misdemeanor depending on the charge and any prior record.  She was responsible for the supervision and protection of the child.