Honored Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

I read she left the cart by her car, and was parked near the front of the store. She had her nephew with her. She is age 27 and has 4 kids. She didn't come back for 40 minutes. She is charged, and should be.

The story I read said she was buying candy for her nephew's b-day, not that she had her nephew with her and she had 3 of her 4 children with her, not all 4 kids. 

She got home and one of the kids asked where the baby was, that's when she realized she had left him in the car so she went back.  Prior to that she said she thought he was in the car.  I have no idea how far of a drive the store was from her home.    

The articles seem to be different/info left out. I read she was buying candy for her nephew.  I just assumed he was there. The article didn't mention she had her other kids with her.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

yes.

IMO these are not "mistakes". I never forgot my kid. These people can remember their cell phones etc, not their kids. If one may be so tired etc. then they need reminers/alarms to remember kid in back seat. Put you wallet/cell there,

SO if it is not a mistake, then she did it on purpose? 

I would not say she did it on purpose (some have to rid the kid), but I would not call it a mistake either. This baby is depending on her, and she negelected them. There should be a conseqeuence for this action imo.

So if a mother looses a child in the store, there should be consequences for that also.  After all she had to be negelecting them if they got lost.

I think losing a child that can walk is totally different than a 2 month old baby placed in a car seat, brought into the store, placed in a shopping cart, awake and looking at her....baby Huxton was not lost....you leave said store and leave your awake baby, gurgling, smiling ( in pic) in 100 degrees in your shopping cart...the car seat was empty in the car....I think I might notice....your distraction should be your infant....sorry, I feel sorry for the little boy 

Respected Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

I read she left the cart by her car, and was parked near the front of the store. She had her nephew with her. She is age 27 and has 4 kids. She didn't come back for 40 minutes. She is charged, and should be.

The story I read said she was buying candy for her nephew's b-day, not that she had her nephew with her and she had 3 of her 4 children with her, not all 4 kids. 

She got home and one of the kids asked where the baby was, that's when she realized she had left him in the car so she went back.  Prior to that she said she thought he was in the car.  I have no idea how far of a drive the store was from her home.    

The articles seem to be different/info left out. I read she was buying candy for her nephew.  I just assumed he was there. The article didn't mention she had her other kids with her.

-------------

I didnt read the article but there is a video of her giving an interview. It seems this was just a mistake stemming from dealing with 2 other small kids and a routine she usually goes with when getting them in the car.  It really does seem like an honest mistake.

Esteemed Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I don't understand how this could happen.  If she took the cart to her car to load the items in the car, wasn't she looking right at the baby?  Where did she leave the cart?  Wouldn't you be looking right at the baby when you put the cart back???  How could you forget the baby in the cart, they are right by your hands????

I saw her on TV with her explanation, not sure what to think.

My response exactly, I don't think she should go to jail but don't understand how this happened....

Esteemed Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

Well brava brava to all you perfect humans who have never done anything wrong. Enjoy your direct root to heaven since you are all perfect. SMH.

Not one of you know this young mother or what her deal is and to bash her like this well I guess it is an age thing. Oh wait nope it isn't. Its just mean spirited and giving yourselves a pass. Since none of us know what is in the background of anyone on this board. And so we get to come on here and chastise other people.

My Mom who was the PTA president and a member of the welcome wagon and ladies who lunch and had the perfect manicured lawn and amazingly clean house and so on and so on.

Happened to be the mother of 5 rambunctious kids. Me being the second youngest and low and behold she left me in the store on a extra crazy shopping trip with all of us. I was 2. She was not on a cell phone and she was always an amazing Mom. So lighten up give this young Mom the benefit of the doubt. Before you go all Salem Witch trial on her. 

Seems the saying there but for the grace of G-d is lost on this bunch.

I agree if she had a bunch running around in utter confusion, you could easily lose your child and being a mother is the hardest of jobs and a learning experience.  But, the baby was 2 months old, wide awake strapped in a car seat in front of her.  When you get in the car, you would look at the empty car seat....you just do....if the baby we're not so young, it wouldn't be as bothersome.  It was 100 degrees out....I would check to see if all my kids had enough to drink, but especially a newborn.   I don't think it was intentional but  it is bothersome to me and I do think she needs to be followed.  As stated, I was an OB/Gyn nurse and this just doesn't sit right with me.  I don't think it should just be dismissed as a mistake because too often, incidents like this can be overlooked and then, something bad happens.  If she is overwhelmed being a mom of 4 at 28, it is understandable and she may need help....not just giving her a pass as a busy mom....the Gilbert police dept did charge her with a misdemeanor, child endangerment.  I don't think this is a punishment but she needs to be followed and given help if necessary.

Exactly she made need help. The baby is just 2 months maybe she is suffering from Postpartum depression

I think the behavior is a symptom and can not just be  chalked up to a mistake.  She is young, 4 kids at 28 and often we sympathize too much rather than think....it is too major to be a mistake, she came back and didn't abandon her son and not a crime but, often it may be something in between like a medical condition  or a PP depression but to be distracted to the point where you forget your infant during a heatwave is not normal and is dangerous 

Esteemed Contributor

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

There is nothing right now about her being on a cell so I'm not sure why that keeps getting brought up. 

I'm not sure what to think of this.  I have no children but the scenario presented doesn't seem to make sense to me.  A 2 month old would be in a cart in a carrier and I just don't get how you could not see that big carrier in the cart when you are unloading your groceries or walking away from the cart.  It would be right there.  You'd have to be looking at it wouldn't you?  I also don't understand the comment about a different parking space.  I'll be darned if I can get the exact same parking space at the store every week and we don't have stores with assigned parking. 

However, a friend of mine got in her car and left for church, leaving one of her kids in a swing in the back yard.  She had 6 kids and they didn't all fit in 1 car. She thought her DH had that child in his car and he thought she had the child in her car.  She realized what happened when she got to church and went home.  Luckily she lives 5 minutes from church. She went racing into the back yard and her daughter was just happily sitting in that swing and had no idea everyone had left her.      

The different parking space was her rationale for forgetting the baby; she got a closer space and unpacked her groceries in a different way...she was out of her usual routine, thus, forgetting the child. 

Esteemed Contributor

She never noticed, her three year old asked where the baby was and she rushed back.  A 2 month old unattended is not a purse but totally dependent on its parent.  The whole story is strange...I wouldn't call her a criminal nor will I call this a mistake.  I am bothered by the story and the family bears watching. To have 4 small children at 28 in itself is overwhelming and having done OB/Gyn for many years including visiting high risk families in a community, if I were still doing Public Health and heard this story in my community, I would visit the home, evaluate and see if she needs help. 

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

I wonder what time the stoning will commence? 

If this mother is suffering from any emotional or mental issues then I hope she will get help. That being said not one of you can ever know how truly bad she feels and she will never forget what she did.

I hope those of you that are judging her will think of her when you go to your houses of worship and say a prayer instead of a condemnation.

It took her 40 minutes to realize this "mistake"? This is a real problem.

An off duty officer found the baby thank goodness, and took them to the salon. 

Actually, her three year old asked where the baby was...I am not condemning the woman but it just isn't normal maternal behavior....it was hot, wouldn't you give your baby some fluid...gee he isn't crying....I don't hear my baby gurgling or laughing...the car seat is empty!  The baby could have choked or any things that happen to unattended 2 mos old babies....you worry about everything...the whole situation troubles me 

Trusted Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

No....she made a terrible mistake.  I've never forgotten a baby but I have forgotten things that made me feel stupid.  I don't know her but if an investigation proves her to otherwise be a good mother, she deserves a pass.

I totally agree. 

Esteemed Contributor

@12andcounting wrote:

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

No....she made a terrible mistake.  I've never forgotten a baby but I have forgotten things that made me feel stupid.  I don't know her but if an investigation proves her to otherwise be a good mother, she deserves a pass.

I totally agree. 

I think it was more than a terrible mistake but not a criminal act...to be at the point of distraction where you forget your 2 month old in a shopping cart is a problem and this family needs follow up attention by a professional.