Honored Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

[ Edited ]

yes. 

IMO these are not "mistakes". I never forgot my kid. These people can remember their cell phones etc, but not their kids. If one may be so tired etc. then they need reminders/alarms to remember kid in back seat. Put your wallet/cell there, No excuses in my book.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

yes.

IMO these are not "mistakes". I never forgot my kid. These people can remember their cell phones etc, not their kids. If one may be so tired etc. then they need reminers/alarms to remember kid in back seat. Put you wallet/cell there,

SO if it is not a mistake, then she did it on purpose?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

yes.

IMO these are not "mistakes". I never forgot my kid. These people can remember their cell phones etc, not their kids. If one may be so tired etc. then they need reminers/alarms to remember kid in back seat. Put you wallet/cell there,

I would not say she did it on purpose (some have to rid the kid), but I would not call it a mistake either. This baby is depending on her, and she negelected them. There should be a conseqeuence for this action imo.

edit:  should have read. Leaving the kid in a cart is  similar as the car situation.

Esteemed Contributor

@AngusandBuddhasMom wrote:

Well brava brava to all you perfect humans who have never done anything wrong. Enjoy your direct root to heaven since you are all perfect. SMH.

Not one of you know this young mother or what her deal is and to bash her like this well I guess it is an age thing. Oh wait nope it isn't. Its just mean spirited and giving yourselves a pass. Since none of us know what is in the background of anyone on this board. And so we get to come on here and chastise other people.

My Mom who was the PTA president and a member of the welcome wagon and ladies who lunch and had the perfect manicured lawn and amazingly clean house and so on and so on.

Happened to be the mother of 5 rambunctious kids. Me being the second youngest and low and behold she left me in the store on a extra crazy shopping trip with all of us. I was 2. She was not on a cell phone and she was always an amazing Mom. So lighten up give this young Mom the benefit of the doubt. Before you go all Salem Witch trial on her. 

Seems the saying there but for the grace of G-d is lost on this bunch.

I agree if she had a bunch running around in utter confusion, you could easily lose your child and being a mother is the hardest of jobs and a learning experience.  But, the baby was 2 months old, wide awake strapped in a car seat in front of her.  When you get in the car, you would look at the empty car seat....you just do....if the baby we're not so young, it wouldn't be as bothersome.  It was 100 degrees out....I would check to see if all my kids had enough to drink, but especially a newborn.   I don't think it was intentional but  it is bothersome to me and I do think she needs to be followed.  As stated, I was an OB/Gyn nurse and this just doesn't sit right with me.  I don't think it should just be dismissed as a mistake because too often, incidents like this can be overlooked and then, something bad happens.  If she is overwhelmed being a mom of 4 at 28, it is understandable and she may need help....not just giving her a pass as a busy mom....the Gilbert police dept did charge her with a misdemeanor, child endangerment.  I don't think this is a punishment but she needs to be followed and given help if necessary.

Esteemed Contributor

@missy1 wrote:

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@missy1 wrote:

yes.

I would not say she did it on purpose (some have to rid the kid), but I would not call it a mistake either. This baby is depending on her, and she negelected them. There should be a conseqeuence for this action imo.

So if a mother looses a child in the store, there should be consequences for that also.  After all she had to be negelecting them if they got lost.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

While it's a scary and a very serious oversight that could have had a far worse outcome, thank God that everything was OK in the end.  I don't think this mom intentionally left her baby behind.  Making assumptions or accusations about her being on her phone is unfair unless that's been a proven fact.  A mistake doesn't make one a bad parent.  The baby was 2 mos. old so it's possible that it could have been one of the mom's first outings with the baby since delivery.  She was used to getting the older ones in the car, but not a baby.  Can anyone on this board say they're perfect in every way and they've never made a serious mistake?  I can't.  

Honored Contributor

No, I do not think she should be charged with a crime. We have enough parents in jail and what do you think the baby is going to do if mom gets locked up? Or fined an amount she can't afford and goes into debt? Or gets jailed because she can't pay her debt? (Which isn't supposed to happen in the US, but happens all too often.)

She's an overwhelmed parent, so have CPS check her and her children out  to make sure things are acceptable at home and maybe consider getting the woman some help instead of condemning her.

Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@Smaug wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

A young mother forgot her baby in a shopping cart for 40 minutes.  She claims she forgot her baby because she parked in a different parking space and was out of her usual routine.  Do you think she should be charged with a crime? 

Parked in a different parking space? Does she have a space reserved for her? Sounds like a poor excuse. 

I don't know if what she did is criminal (not enough info) but it's certainly stupid. The baby could have been suffering in the hot sun. 

The baby was left in a temperature of 100 but luckily a hair salon was there and a client asked why there was a baby outside and they took the baby in and called police. 

Thank God they saw the baby. It's so easy for them to get heat stroke.  I hate to think what would have happened if the client didn't see anything.

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

I don't understand how this could happen.  If she took the cart to her car to load the items in the car, wasn't she looking right at the baby?  Where did she leave the cart?  Wouldn't you be looking right at the baby when you put the cart back???  How could you forget the baby in the cart, they are right by your hands????

I saw her on TV with her explanation, not sure what to think.

Respected Contributor

@colliegirls wrote:

I don't understand how this could happen.  If she took the cart to her car to load the items in the car, wasn't she looking right at the baby?  Where did she leave the cart?  Wouldn't you be looking right at the baby when you put the cart back???  How could you forget the baby in the cart, they are right by your hands????

I saw her on TV with her explanation, not sure what to think.

Good questions. 

She sounds frazzled to the point of putting her kids in danger. Thankfully, good people found the baby, Hope she learns from this, that her children can't be replaced.