Honored Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

I see a case for a neglect charge.  Bet she would notice a missing cell phone.

Esteemed Contributor

@gardensla wrote:

I've read many stories about parents who are so exhausted (4 kids one

a 2 month old--wow) that they do things like forget that they didn't put baby in the car and drive off. I don't think it's a crime and I don't think it's right to judge unless she has a history of child neglect, which I've not seen mentioned. 

Have to agree.  With so many who purposly go out of there way to hurt and neglect children, I am willing to give a good mother the benefit of a doubt that it was a mistake.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

Brings up something I remember.  A  friends was one of 8 children.  They were touring Germany by train.  The train made a scheduled stop, and encouraged the passengers to get off to visit the merchants or just stretch their legs.  The family got off, got back on when the time was up and you guessed it.  One of the children was missing.  You can only imagine the panic.  In any case they were able to get off, take another train back and find the child who was being held in a safe place.  The train employees made all calls to make the reunion happen.  Fortunately it was a small town with caring people who were able to figure out what happened. 

Trusted Contributor

Yes, it's a crime and she should be charged. What a TOTAL idiot.

Esteemed Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Where was the shopping cart during this 40 minutes?  In the store?  In the parking lot?  I guess I don't understand the circumstances, but 40 minutes?????  Give me a break. 

Poor baby.

The shopping cart was in the lot....I understand being preoccupied but the baby is 2 months old....wouldn't you notice the car seat space was empty.  She got all the way home before missing her child.  I believe she has 4 children.  She is lucky the child was picked up immediately by a good person.  In the picture, the baby is wide awake and not a sleeping child, so a little hard to ignore the baby.  She needs parenting classes or maybe she has an underlying condition? IMHO 

Why would you think there is an underlying condition?  A young mother with 4 small children made a mistake.  One I am sure will never be made again.  Do people who loose children in stores or amusmant parks have "underlying conditions"?

I am sure she made a mistake and I don't know if she has an underlying condition ( could be low blood sugar, diabetes, petite mal seizures, which would cause you not to be alert)  but I am sorry many have small children and would be hard pressed to leave their child in a cart in 100 degree weather in their car seat.  She only missed her child when one of the others asked where he was?   It is different if a child wanders away but the baby was 2 months old.  Being a nurse, a mother and having worked OB/Gyn for many years, new mothers become hyper vigilant with a newborn.  She might be exhausted and I am not suggesting she be charged but not just a slap on the wrist, thus, classes. 

Respected Contributor

Well, if she was the Dad, she'd be arrested and convicted and sentenced to prison.  But this is the Mom, she's young and if she's attractive; she'll get slap on the wrist.  I can't imagine any parent being that distracted.  We might forget a whole lot of things but not our babies.  I once buckled my kids in their car seats, returned the shopping cart and totally forgot that my grocery bags were on the roof of the car.  I had intended to put them in the trunk after I got the kids in the car....and totally forgot.  I didn't even know until a car behind me kept honking and honking his horn.  He wouldn't let up!  And then he passed me and the passenger in his car yelled "roof!".  Boing!  So, things do happen.  She shouldn't be arrested if no harm came to the child but Children's Services should look into this.

Esteemed Contributor

@Smaug wrote:

@Greenhouse wrote:

A young mother forgot her baby in a shopping cart for 40 minutes.  She claims she forgot her baby because she parked in a different parking space and was out of her usual routine.  Do you think she should be charged with a crime? 

Parked in a different parking space? Does she have a space reserved for her? Sounds like a poor excuse. 

I don't know if what she did is criminal (not enough info) but it's certainly stupid. The baby could have been suffering in the hot sun. 

The baby was left in a temperature of 100 but luckily a hair salon was there and a client asked why there was a baby outside and they took the baby in and called police. 

Esteemed Contributor

That baby should have been her first priority!!!

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Respected Contributor

Well brava brava to all you perfect humans who have never done anything wrong. Enjoy your direct root to heaven since you are all perfect. SMH.

Not one of you know this young mother or what her deal is and to bash her like this well I guess it is an age thing. Oh wait nope it isn't. Its just mean spirited and giving yourselves a pass. Since none of us know what is in the background of anyone on this board. And so we get to come on here and chastise other people.

My Mom who was the PTA president and a member of the welcome wagon and ladies who lunch and had the perfect manicured lawn and amazingly clean house and so on and so on.

Happened to be the mother of 5 rambunctious kids. Me being the second youngest and low and behold she left me in the store on a extra crazy shopping trip with all of us. I was 2. She was not on a cell phone and she was always an amazing Mom. So lighten up give this young Mom the benefit of the doubt. Before you go all Salem Witch trial on her. 

Seems the saying there but for the grace of G-d is lost on this bunch.

Respected Contributor

There is a Pulitzer prize winning report on this subject: Fatal Distraction ... by Gene Weingarten.