Esteemed Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

@willomenia wrote:

Of course! Probably on her cell phone instead of talking to her child like 90% of mothers out there. Somehow your child is only first on your mind when its convenient for you! 

I see this so often these days where the person who is in charge of a baby or child is paying that child no mind and totally absorbed in texting and/or chatting on a cell phone.  It's one thing to make a quick imortant call, but what I observe is people totally removed from interacting with the child because they behave like the cell is the most important thing in their world.  I am baffled by this behavior and I admit it's probably due to my age.    

Esteemed Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Where was the shopping cart during this 40 minutes?  In the store?  In the parking lot?  I guess I don't understand the circumstances, but 40 minutes?????  Give me a break. 

Poor baby.

The shopping cart was in the lot....I understand being preoccupied but the baby is 2 months old....wouldn't you notice the car seat space was empty.  She got all the way home before missing her child.  I believe she has 4 children.  She is lucky the child was picked up immediately by a good person.  In the picture, the baby is wide awake and not a sleeping child, so a little hard to ignore the baby.  She needs parenting classes or maybe she has an underlying condition? IMHO 

Esteemed Contributor

@Trix wrote:

@willomenia wrote:

Of course! Probably on her cell phone instead of talking to her child like 90% of mothers out there. Somehow your child is only first on your mind when its convenient for you! 

I see this so often these days where the person who is in charge of a baby or child is paying that child no mind and totally absorbed in texting and/or chatting on a cell phone.  It's one thing to make a quick imortant call, but what I observe is people totally removed from interacting with the child because they behave like the cell is the most important thing in their world.  I am baffled by this behavior and I admit it's probably due to my age.    

In this case the distraction are other small children, not a cell phone. 

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Esteemed Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Where was the shopping cart during this 40 minutes?  In the store?  In the parking lot?  I guess I don't understand the circumstances, but 40 minutes?????  Give me a break. 

Poor baby.

The shopping cart was in the lot....I understand being preoccupied but the baby is 2 months old....wouldn't you notice the car seat space was empty.  She got all the way home before missing her child.  I believe she has 4 children.  She is lucky the child was picked up immediately by a good person.  In the picture, the baby is wide awake and not a sleeping child, so a little hard to ignore the baby.  She needs parenting classes or maybe she has an underlying condition? IMHO 

Why would you think there is an underlying condition?  A young mother with 4 small children made a mistake.  One I am sure will never be made again.  Do people who loose children in stores or amusmant parks have "underlying conditions"?

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Respected Contributor

It's not for us to judge her since we have no idea what is going on in this woman's life.  Not that anything could excuse leaving the babe, but it could help to understand the failure.  Thank God she didn't leave the child in the car. If she is an unfit mother, the authorities should determine the consequences.

Trusted Contributor

For the life of me, I cannot even remotely fathom forgetting a baby-anywhere, not a shopping cart, car seat-anywhere.

Esteemed Contributor

@fleetwood wrote:

@tends2dogs wrote:

Poor baby.

I am as confused as you are. I don't understand where she left the baby. Where was the cart all this while?

http://kfor.com/2015/08/25/mother-accidentally-leaves-2-moth-old-infant-in-shopping-cart/

Respected Contributor

@Greenhouse wrote:

A young mother forgot her baby in a shopping cart for 40 minutes.  She claims she forgot her baby because she parked in a different parking space and was out of her usual routine.  Do you think she should be charged with a crime? 

Parked in a different parking space? Does she have a space reserved for her? Sounds like a poor excuse. 

I don't know if what she did is criminal (not enough info) but it's certainly stupid. The baby could have been suffering in the hot sun. 

_____ ,,,^ ._. ^,,,_____
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

I've read many stories about parents who are so exhausted (4 kids one

a 2 month old--wow) that they do things like forget that they didn't put baby in the car and drive off. I don't think it's a crime and I don't think it's right to judge unless she has a history of child neglect, which I've not seen mentioned. 

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Esteemed Contributor

I guess it depends on the exact circumstance.  Where was this cart with the child in it?  What were the conditions around this child?  I like to think it was a mistake and I would give her the benefit of the doubt.  

I have been in many stores with lost kids and staff trying to find parents with crying child in hand.  I would take it case by case and  just give her a chance.