Esteemed Contributor

Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

A young mother forgot her baby in a shopping cart for 40 minutes.  She claims she forgot her baby because she parked in a different parking space and was out of her usual routine.  Do you think she should be charged with a crime? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Baby left in shopping cart: crime or not?

No....she made a terrible mistake.  I've never forgotten a baby but I have forgotten things that made me feel stupid.  I don't know her but if an investigation proves her to otherwise be a good mother, she deserves a pass.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

Yes, that's neglect.  You cannot forget a baby. 

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

No....she made a terrible mistake.  I've never forgotten a baby but I have forgotten things that made me feel stupid.  I don't know her but if an investigation proves her to otherwise be a good mother, she deserves a pass.

Have to agree.  Do not know this person or what kind of mother she may be, so I will not judge her based on one mistake.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

Of course! Probably on her cell phone instead of talking to her child like 90% of mothers out there. Somehow your child is only first on your mind when its convenient for you! 

Respected Contributor

i can understand forgetting and leaving the baby behind.  i'd like to hear her story for myself, but based on the info here, i don't think a crime was committed.  everyone can be forgetful as awful as it can be.

Respected Contributor

Sorry, but that should be criminal, lots of parents out there who shouldn't be.

"Cats are poetry in motion. Dogs are gibberish in neutral." -Garfield
Esteemed Contributor

Where was the shopping cart during this 40 minutes?  In the store?  In the parking lot?  I guess I don't understand the circumstances, but 40 minutes?????  Give me a break. 

Poor baby.

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Esteemed Contributor

@willomenia wrote:

Of course! Probably on her cell phone instead of talking to her child like 90% of mothers out there. Somehow your child is only first on your mind when its convenient for you! 

I did not see where she was on the phone at the time.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Regular Contributor

@tends2dogs wrote:

Where was the shopping cart during this 40 minutes?  In the store?  In the parking lot?  I guess I don't understand the circumstances, but 40 minutes?????  Give me a break. 

Poor baby.

I am as confused as you are. I don't understand where she left the baby. Where was the cart all this while?