Respected Contributor

@cherry wrote:

That song is a classic, and predates all of today's problems. You can always make something from nothing ,if you try hard enough..Teletubbies  and even Bert and Ernie were not exempt

I always thought the song was cute ,and not sinister in any way

The song may be considered a classic but it did not predate today's problems. It was written before coersion and manipulation of woman were considered problems. The reaction of people who do not want to acknowledge that awarenesses have changed and manipulation and coersion are no longer acceptable is to be expected. Just because something is was acceptable doesn't mean it always will be. Listen to the words.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine, I heard the same thing about Rudolph being banned in a school.

Honored Contributor

Why attack a song, when you can go after the real monster?

So if we ban a song, how many rapists are now going into hiding or having 2nd thoughts?

"This song is banned, I better not rape anyone"    Really?

it's foolish.

The song is taken out of context.    There is a certain mindset right now that WORDS are bad.    Say something wrong and you are vilified.   How about going after people who are actually doing wrong?    Time can be better spent by standing up to bad behavior, not bad words.   This is where I don't agree with this new MeToo movement.   There is so much bad happening in the world - child abuse, human trafficking - but they want to ban a song.

Honored Contributor

I predict that Santa will be the next to go.....promoting/glorifying obesity, as well as breaking into homes (burglary) via the chimneys.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Esteemed Contributor

@software wrote:

So if we ban a song, how many rapists are now going into hiding or having 2nd thoughts?

it's foolish.

The song is taken out of context.    There is a certain mindset right now that WORDS are bad.    Say something wrong and you are vilified.   How about going after people who are actually doing wrong?    Time can be better spent by standing up to bad behavior, not bad words.   This is where I don't agree with this new MeToo movement.   There is so much bad happening in the world - child abuse, human trafficking - but they want to ban a song.

With all the s*x and violence we all see on TV, movies, video games and current music choices that are thrown in our faces everyday, it is humorous that a song  recorded 60 - 70 years ago is considered offensive.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@CrazyDaisy wrote:

@software wrote:

it's foolish.

With all the s*x and violence we all see on TV, movies, video games and current music choices that are thrown in our faces everyday, it is humorous that a song  recorded 60 - 70 years ago is considered offensive.

Agree

The same women offended by this song fall all over themselves to see 50 Shades.

Esteemed Contributor

It's rather silly when, as others have said, you think about other songs that are far more graphic in nature (a lot of rap, for example).

Personally, I've never cared for the song as I find it musically weak and rather dull and....well......BORING.  I've always tuned it out so I've never really paid attention to the lyrics.  

Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, but Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.
- Author Unknown
Valued Contributor

Cherry.......

OMG, “ a man chases a women until she catches him”.  ❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️❤️

Honored Contributor

@reiki604 wrote:

@cherry wrote:

That song is a classic, and predates all of today's problems. You can always make something from nothing ,if you try hard enough..Teletubbies  and even Bert and Ernie were not exempt

I always thought the song was cute ,and not sinister in any way

The song may be considered a classic but it did not predate today's problems. It was written before coersion and manipulation of woman were considered problems. The reaction of people who do not want to acknowledge that awarenesses have changed and manipulation and coersion are no longer acceptable is to be expected. Just because something is was acceptable doesn't mean it always will be. Listen to the words.

https://community.qvc.com/t5/Community-Chat/quot-Baby-It-s-Cold-Outside-quot-lyrics/m-p/3365376/high...

Bill Cosby was found out the Spring/Summer of 2016, so when

this song started playing Holiday 2016, it got lots of attention.  

I’m afraid as time rolls on, the awareness will dissipate &

apathy will set in. Too many people are defending these lyrics

and that kinda make me rather sad. Times change...for some of us. 

Again, thank goodness this song only plays a limited time each

year where it can be returned to 1940 after December 25th.

Respected Contributor

It's a song. It would be awfully hypocritical of me to be offended with some of the music I listen to. And that probably applies to a lot of music unless you are singing in church.