Respected Contributor

I wonder what people will think, in fifty years, about the lyrics heard today?

Valued Contributor

Re: Baby, It's Cold Outside

[ Edited ]

@sidsmom, yet, thus far only one radio station has pulled it off the air. Again, IMHO, sometimes we just need to lighten up.  Not every word is meant to "offend."  We need to take them in the spirit intended.

When I was a kid my dad would say, "if you go looking for trouble, you'll be sure to find it."  I think lots of folks, sadly, go looking for trouble.  LuLu

Respected Contributor

I personally am so fed up with everything being an issue for someone and things that have been traditions for years being turned into something political. I am all for equal rights and respecting everyone from all walks of life, race and religions. I also am for keeping things that have been traditions for years exactly that traditions. I will always say Merry Christmas, enjoy every Christmas song, stand for the American flag and for the National Anthem, Bow my head in prayer and have the greatest respect for the office of President and first lady regardless of which party they represent. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they do or that someone else can't feel the way they feel as I will respect their right to do so. I still believe in Santa Claus also as he has shown up every year at my house for sixty one years!

Respected Contributor

@Kitlynn wrote:

I personally am so fed up with everything being an issue for someone and things that have been traditions for years being turned into something political. I am all for equal rights and respecting everyone from all walks of life, race and religions. I also am for keeping things that have been traditions for years exactly that traditions. I will always say Merry Christmas, enjoy every Christmas song, stand for the American flag and for the National Anthem, Bow my head in prayer and have the greatest respect for the office of President and first lady regardless of which party they represent. That doesn't mean I agree with everything they do or that someone else can't feel the way they feel as I will respect their right to do so. I still believe in Santa Claus also as he has shown up every year at my house for sixty one years!

And others will continue to express opinions despite people being "fed up".

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I heard about this - the radio station that won't play the song because it sounds manipulative.  Whenever I hear the song, I think of the time Lisa Robertson and Dave King sang it - you can find it on YouTube.  Now I'll wonder if Dave had bad intentions.  Smiley Happy

Every year I listen to Lisa and Dave on Youtube.  One of my favorite  songs.

Honored Contributor

@Its Me LuLuBelle2 wrote:

Before I delve into what I want to say, I'd like to preface my post with the following.  I think that anyone here that has read my previous posts know I'm a huge supporter of the sisterhood of women.  I applaud your successes, I try to help through your lowspots, and I want all of my sisters to be all they can be.  In the early 70's I was putting myself through college and working full time at a factory on the second shift.  My supervisor was a disgusting pig of a man (married) that thought "pawing" the females who worked for him was acceptable.  I was 19 years old and let him know he was not to touch me.  A wonderful woman I worked with, Rose, a mid-40s widowed woman with 6 kids told me I couldn't talk to him like that or I would lose my job.  I told her, "Rose, let him fire me.  We have rights.  We do our jobs and shouldn't have to be subjected to his disgusting behavior." Well guess what, pig man knocked it off and we worked in peace!

Now to the point of my post.  Cleveland Radio Station, Star 102. WDOK-FM has decided to stop playing the 1944 classic Baby It's Cold Outside as they think it's "manipulative and offensive"  They think in the age of #MeToo it has no place in their line-up.

I think their decision is ridiculous.  It's an adorable song and when written there was no intent to harm women.  What's next?  Should we ban Santa Baby?  Women were asking for Santa to bring ermine and minks as they had been awful good girls.

The Beatles wrote about Lucy in The Sky with Diamonds (LSD), The Stones couldn't get No Satisfaction.  The list goes on and on.  When is enough really enough.

Love to hear your responses and let's try not to get shut down!  LuLu

Wow is this for real????? 

Esteemed Contributor

Just another example of a small group of people calling those who do not agree with them ugly names (se*ist, racist, etc).  Then businesses afraid of bad publicity folding.  

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

Re: Baby, It's Cold Outside

[ Edited ]

That song is a classic, and predates all of today's problems. You can always make something from nothing ,if you try hard enough..Teletubbies  and even Bert and Ernie were not exempt

I always thought the song was cute ,and not sinister in any way

Honored Contributor

I don't see how respecting the National Anthem,  President, and First Lady has any relevance to the topic of this song. 

I don't care about the song, it's a silly distraction from holding those people who are guilty of this behavior responsible. It's a talking point for talking heads to exploit for their own purposes.

"This isn't a Wednesday night, this is New Year's Eve"
Honored Contributor

Remember the song from The Little Mermaid?

There you see her, sitting there across the way.

She don’t got a lot to say.

But there’s something about her.

And you don’t know why.

But you’re dying to try.

You wanna kiss the girl...

There is one way to ask her.

It don’t take a word.

Not a single word.

Go on and kiss the girl.

The Princeton Tigertones, an all-male a cappella group at Princeton University, is removing this song from its set list "in response to complaints that it is misogynistic and violates the principle of consent."

These days, I'm actually happy that I'm closer to 60 than to 20.

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~