Honored Contributor

Re: Baby Boomers: What was your favorite penny candy?

sfnative: Shopping was so convenient in those days. My mom would send me (very young age) to the grocery, or bakery, or butcher to pick up items. We didn't need to buy a lot of items at one time. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/26/2015 shoekitty said:

Candy, soda and ice cream were such a treat when I was kid. We didn't have snack foods around the house. Hostess cup cakes and chips were about it on rare occasion. Wey just didn't have the selection they do today

When we were desperate for candy, (and without money) we would look for bottles to turn in. I used to know where the "hobos" left beer bottles sometimes. Those were worth 5 cents. And 5 cents bought good stuff!

Anyway I liked all candy, but if I bought penny candy I liked KITS, or chicken bones, they lasted too!

There also was a small, old, old, corner store owed by a Chinese family. They had everything, and those special little rice candies with the rice paper wrapping that melted in your mouth. I loved those!

I loved those rice candies, too, and still purchcase them from Cost + every Christmas as stocking stuffers.

And, I still crave those Hostess chocolate cupcakes with the swirl on top. I remember watching Howdy Doody when I was quite small and Hostess was a sponsor. Well, Mr. Bob came on camera with a cupcake in his hand and did his bit about the cupcake, ending with, "don't forget to look for the surprise inside." Being as literally-minded as most kids are, I expected to bite into a cupcake and find a small toy "surprise." Took me some time to realize that the "surprise" was the white cream filling. Thought I had been gipped. LOL!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/27/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

sfnative: Shopping was so convenient in those days. My mom would send me (very young age) to the grocery, or bakery, or butcher to pick up items. We didn't need to buy a lot of items at one time. {#emotions_dlg.wub}

Romary,

My mother would do the same thing: send me for a quart of milk and a loaf of bread - stuff like that.

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/27/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

Anyone have any black licorice brands recommendations?

Romary,

Have you tried any black licorice from Great Britain? My Dad used to like black licorice and purchased his for a shop in L.A. that carried everything from England.

Trusted Contributor

Someone mentioned sugar babies. I still like sugar babies. I like to get the bags of little individual packets of them during the fall Halloween season.

I used to love chocolate babies, and Slo Pokes, too. Now that I think about it, I think that eating caramels were some of my favorite kind of candies, too.

My Mom used to like caramels, so I think that was probably one of the reasons that she didn't mind letting me have them.

Esteemed Contributor

Fortēs fortūna adjuvat
Regular Contributor

My three favorites:

Coconut Slices

Red Hot Dollars

Swedish Fish

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/28/2015 gardensla said:

Though I never saw this candy bar, it looks really good. I can just imagine being a kid and figuring out which one to eat first, providing you could break the sections apart.

Esteemed Contributor

Maggie May,

I'd totally forgotten about the Coconut Slices! I always ate the chocolate slice first, then the vanilla and would give the strawberry to my sister.

Really lovin' this sweet memories!

Regular Contributor

On 1/28/2015 sfnative said:

Maggie May,

I'd totally forgotten about the Coconut Slices! I always ate the chocolate slice first, then the vanilla and would give the strawberry to my sister.

Really lovin' this sweet memories!

I always started with the chocolate, too!