Super Contributor

Re: Baby Boomers: What was your favorite penny candy?

On 1/26/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

Mint Juleps ring a bell in my mind. I can 'taste' them, but I cannot recall exactly what they looked like! Isn't that strange?

Super Contributor

Remember these?

Trusted Contributor

Oh I remember the candy cigarettes. Wow!
Honored Contributor

Thanks, Soxfan! I now remember, and they were good.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

We had several Mom and Pop stores on many two-three block long streets.

Yes...we had two within a two block walk from our home. The owners lived in our neighborhood.

If we wanted to venture further...there were other stores nearby that sold a wider variety of candies.

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 soxfan said:

Remember these? {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Yes! Except that by the time I was able to go to the store and buy candy...my dad no longer smoked. Good for him! But most of my friends had dads who did smoke, and my friends and I thought it was good to mimic them.

Honored Contributor

Candy, soda and ice cream were such a treat when I was kid. We didn't have snack foods around the house. Hostess cup cakes and chips were about it on rare occasion. Wey just didn't have the selection they do today

When we were desperate for candy, (and without money) we would look for bottles to turn in. I used to know where the "hobos" left beer bottles sometimes. Those were worth 5 cents. And 5 cents bought good stuff!

Anyway I liked all candy, but if I bought penny candy I liked KITS, or chicken bones, they lasted too!

There also was a small, old, old, corner store owed by a Chinese family. They had everything, and those special little rice candies with the rice paper wrapping that melted in your mouth. I loved those!

Honored Contributor

Wish I could think of one, Becc... seems like I remember that there was 5-cent candy instead. But then I'm a Boomer-GenXer; 1963.

Cute thread. 8)

Jaye

I take you to the candy shop. lick the lollipop.. But all I want is some watah.

Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 kittymomNC said:
On 1/26/2015 sfnative said:
On 1/26/2015 Burnsite said:

I liked black licorice best. The recipe has changed so much since the Dark Ages, though. Too sweet and bland these days. This is just as well for my diet, though.

Mary Janes were nice, too. And "Atomic Fireballs"--remember them?

Mary Janes are not ringing a bell. Can you describe one? Perhaps it was a regional thing.

Here ya go....

20111005maryjanescandy-thumb-625xauto-190527.jpg

Did they taste like peanut butter?

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/26/2015 shoekitty said:
On 1/26/2015 kittymomNC said:
On 1/26/2015 sfnative said:
On 1/26/2015 Burnsite said:

I liked black licorice best. The recipe has changed so much since the Dark Ages, though. Too sweet and bland these days. This is just as well for my diet, though.

Mary Janes were nice, too. And "Atomic Fireballs"--remember them?

Mary Janes are not ringing a bell. Can you describe one? Perhaps it was a regional thing.

Here ya go....

20111005maryjanescandy-thumb-625xauto-190527.jpg

Did they taste like peanut butter?

If I remember correctly (after all, it's been a few years!), they did and had little pieces of what I guess were peanuts. But they were so sticky unless you got them sort of "warmed up", they felt like they could pull your teeth out! But they were so good! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}