Respected Contributor

Re: Baby Boomers: What was your favorite penny candy?

Just checked back in, thanks for the picture of "Mary Janes", Kittymom. Those may well have been regional, sfnative. They were my mother's favorite penny candy.

I also loved "Squirrel Nut Bars" but in Mass. they only sold the chocolate ones. Delicious. I saw the zipper blonde nut bars once in SC while travelling--and they were delicious, too.I don't think the choc. ones are made any more.

Honored Contributor

I was another licorice fan and agree it's just not as good as it used to be. I liked the small Tootsie Rolls and Tootsie Pops although that might have cost 2 cents.
Honored Contributor

On 1/26/2015 Burnsite said:

Just checked back in, thanks for the picture of "Mary Janes", Kittymom.

I also loved "Squirrel Nut Bars" but in Mass. they only sold the chocolate ones. Delicious. I saw the zipper blonde nut bars once in SC while travelling--and they were delicious, too.I don't think the choc. ones are made any more.

I also loved Maple Buns, but I don't know if that was regional.

It had to be maple...NOT vanilla.

Honored Contributor

Sixlets, tootsie rolls, mini Reece's, and grape gum balls were my favorites.
Honored Contributor

Mint Juleps ring a bell in my mind. I can 'taste' them, but I cannot recall exactly what they looked like! Isn't that strange?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

UPDATE: I found them at Old Time Candy . com. Now I remember them. I must have been very young, and I'm guessing my sisters brought them home. I'm the one whose mom always carried Sen-Sen teeny tiny licorice squares breath mints in her pocket and purses.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Honored Contributor

Too hard to pick just one! I liked the lipsticks, the candy cigarettes (how weird was that?) and the wax soda bottles with the syrup inside
Honored Contributor

Candy Necklaces. Every Saturday after Bible class, we would stop at a mom and pop grocery and buy penny candy.

Honored Contributor

Candy necklaces..we always got these at birthday parties! I think I have photos of me wearing them...which later got eaten.
Honored Contributor

We had several Mom and Pop stores on many two-three block long streets.