Esteemed Contributor

Re: Baby Boomers: What was your favorite penny candy?

On 2/2/2015 VCamp2748 said:

I don't think it was ever considered penny candy, but we had fun with the Pez dispensers & candies.

Yes, I had Pez, too, and just had to get DSIL a Star Wars Pez this Christmas for his stocking, as he is into everything Star Wars. Who would have thought all these years later that Pez would still be around and contracting with major movie companies.

Esteemed Contributor

It's been so fun to re-visit part of my childhood here on this thread. Thanks to all of you who contributed and brought back memories and introduced me to new penny candies as well.

I do have to tell you that one Saturday when 4 years of age and wanting to share with friends, I went into my parent's bedroom, found my Dad's wallet and removed a $5 dollar bill. I didn't see this as stealing at all, as my intent was to gather as many friends as I could and treat them all to a bunch of penny candy. A candy party! To this day, I don't know why I didn't think it was stealing, because we did attend Sunday School and church and should have known right from wrong.

Interestingly, the store owner called my father and told him I had just walked out with about 12 kids and a big bag of candy and did he know anything about that. Well, all I can say is that I'm glad I took money from Dad's wallet instead of my mother's wallet. My Dad simply sat me down and explained how what I had done was wrong and that was about that.

My Dad was a gentle soul. I was sad and cried, but not because he laid a hand to me.

All for the love of penny candy.

Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 VCamp2748 said:

I don't think it was ever considered penny candy, but we had fun with the Pez dispensers & candies.

My sister and I always had the same Pez dispensers. She'd break the spring on the little head thing on hers. Even though I thought I hid mine well enough, she'd manage to switch her broken one for mine. By the time I'd realize it, she'd usually broken mine too.

I remember placing the Pez in the dispenser in pretty patterns.

Respected Contributor

On 2/2/2015 sfnative said:

It's been so fun to re-visit part of my childhood here on this thread. Thanks to all of you who contributed and brought back memories and introduced me to new penny candies as well.

I do have to tell you that one Saturday when 4 years of age and wanting to share with friends, I went into my parent's bedroom, found my Dad's wallet and removed a $5 dollar bill. I didn't see this as stealing at all, as my intent was to gather as many friends as I could and treat them all to a bunch of penny candy. A candy party! To this day, I don't know why I didn't think it was stealing, because we did attend Sunday School and church and should have known right from wrong.

Interestingly, the store owner called my father and told him I had just walked out with about 12 kids and a big bag of candy and did he know anything about that. Well, all I can say is that I'm glad I took money from Dad's wallet instead of my mother's wallet. My Dad simply sat me down and explained how what I had done was wrong and that was about that.

My Dad was a gentle soul. I was sad and cried, but not because he laid a hand to me.

All for the love of penny candy.

Very sweet story. Loved your "all for the love of penny candy." We didn't have those stores and so never experienced it....only had candy on Halloween.