Trusted Contributor

Re: Baby Boomers: What was your favorite penny candy?

Oh my goodness....penny candy..probably Mary Janes. They are hard on the teeth..but I love them!

I used to go to the little grocery store downstairs from where we had an apartment when I was 5...with a dime. I would get the rolled up red licorice (I forget the brand name) and Necco's. Sometimes I would get Chuckles.

Love them!

Esteemed Contributor

Does anyone remember those oily banana splits? Loved them!

Esteemed Contributor

On 1/26/2015 september said:
On 1/26/2015 soxfan said:

Remember these? {#emotions_dlg.w00t}

Yes! Except that by the time I was able to go to the store and buy candy...my dad no longer smoked. Good for him! But most of my friends had dads who did smoke, and my friends and I thought it was good to mimic them.

Me too, me too. I liked to pony up to a good bubble gum cigar as well.

I remember getting full size candy bars 6 for a quarter and there wasn't any tax on it either. My favorite to get in that selection were Hershey milk chocolate, Nestle Crunch, Reese cup and Mallow cups. I loved Mallow cups.

I loved atomic fireballs, Lemon Heads, wax lips and wax bottles of pop (syrup). Black Cow bars and Turkish taffy were pretty good. Oh, and Sugar Babies, mmmmm.

Really, I wasn't a very picky kid. I liked them all! {#emotions_dlg.laugh}

PS - Did anyone else like Necco candies? Yum.

Super Contributor

Candy lipsticks and Fireballs

Respected Contributor

We called them Frenchies. They were similar to these but half pink and half white.

Esteemed Contributor

Candy Buttons

Wax Bottles

Chick-o-Sticks

Mary Janes

Hershey's chocolate bar, plain - a little bit melted. Jackpot. The kid who went to the grocery store with my dad, and helped him, got the chocolate bar, but we had to wait until we got home to eat it. Thus, slightly melted.

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/26/2015 kittymomNC said:
On 1/26/2015 sfnative said:
On 1/26/2015 Burnsite said:

I liked black licorice best. The recipe has changed so much since the Dark Ages, though. Too sweet and bland these days. This is just as well for my diet, though.

Mary Janes were nice, too. And "Atomic Fireballs"--remember them?

Mary Janes are not ringing a bell. Can you describe one? Perhaps it was a regional thing.

Here ya go....

20111005maryjanescandy-thumb-625xauto-190527.jpg

Thanks, kittymom. I don't think we had those in San Francisco. Looks like a chew.

Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/26/2015 soxfan said:
On 1/26/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

Mint Juleps ring a bell in my mind. I can 'taste' them, but I cannot recall exactly what they looked like! Isn't that strange?

I'd forgotten all about these and loved them as well!

Romary - you had mentioned about several mom and pop stores: we had one on a corner of nearly every square block in those days. As an aside, my mother decided to count kids per square block in 1950 and counted 101! (This was one square block in San Francisco - post-war baby boom for sure!)

Honored Contributor

Anyone have any black licorice brands recommendations?

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

On 1/26/2015 september said:
On 1/26/2015 ROMARY 1 said:

We had several Mom and Pop stores on many two-three block long streets.

Yes...we had two within a two block walk from our home. The owners lived in our neighborhood.

If we wanted to venture further...there were other stores nearby that sold a wider variety of candies.

Same here. And, I remember the 5 and 10 stores, where you could get just about anything, even yardage.