Honored Contributor

This site says babies as young as 4 months may need  glasses

http://eyedocsforkids.com/eyeglasses.html

Valued Contributor

Re: Babies wearing glasses

[ Edited ]

Drs.  can tell by the shape of the patient's eye about what the Rx will be.  Babies will wear glasses once they put them on and discover that they can see.  Sometimes it can be overwhelming to them because they are used to blur.  I know a toddler that had glasses and when she woke up in the morning she would yell "my eyes, my eyes"  she wanted her glasses on first thing in the morning. They do the same with people who are mentally disabled and can't communicate what they can see.

Respected Contributor

@CHATTY wrote:

Drs.  can tell by the shape of the patient's eye about what the Rx will be.  Babies will wear glasses once they put them on and discover that they can see.  Sometimes it can be overwhelming to them because they are used to blur.  I know a toddler that had glasses and when she woke up in the morning she would yell "my eyes, my eyes"  she wanted her glasses on first thing in the morning. They do the same with people who are mentally disabled and can't communicate what they can see.

This ^   I look into the machine and it can tell almost exactly what my perscription is.   My ophthalmologist does fine tune it a little.  But rarely does he have to do much.  A and B or 1 or 2 always look the same to me.   LOL

~~
*Off The Deep End~A very short trip for some!*
Trusted Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I am always amazed at the little tykes with glasses, that don't pull them off their face. I saw a 2 year old, at mass tonight, and she never touched her glasses

I am sure there are kiddies younger than her, that also wear them. I've seen them  with a strap going around their little heads, some looked under a year

Do any of you have a story about a tot learning to adjust to glasses? I'd love to hear it. How can you test a tot that young to get the right rx?

Excellent question - I have always wondered too !

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

My DH was a premie and they watched him for vision problems right from birth as the eye nerves are one of the last things that develop and if they don't develop in the womb they won't develop after birth. He has been wearing glasses as long as he can remember. He can remember being a little kid and the pediatrician would show him a picture and ask him to put the same objects in the same place, and he would do it wrong or the doctor would show him an object in each hand then ask him which one was farther away and he didn't know. He is also color blind. When he had his cataracts removed last year he asked the doctor about anything to help his other vision problems and the doctor explained to him that these nerves in the eye did not have time to form properly in the womb, and other than glasses, nothing can be done about it.

The doctor said they are experimenting with stem cells to try to make these nerves and some other things that are underdeveloped in premies to fully develop after birth. It would be great if it happened.

Honored Contributor

Our youngest Grand is now 6.  She's had glasses for  3 years.  Her next older sister was 5 when her sister got her glasses.  She was so jealous and did everything in her power to pretend she needed them too.

Esteemed Contributor

It must be over 75 years for me. I was told I had operations but I don't remember anything. The whole thing had made me shy and afraid to try things. I heard now adays they can do wonders with crossed eyes.