Honored Contributor

Re: Babies crying over music?

I'm currently taking coursework in the effects of music in the human experience and the research is fascinating.

As you are aware, the particular piece the baby was listening to is almost universally regarded (in Western music) as a statement of loss, sorrow, tragedy.

See how he reacts to the 2nd mvt of the Barber violin concerto or The School For Scandal overture.

I'd say as a guess that "your" baby has an awesome sense of the meaning and relevance of sounds. 

Let us know if the baby dislikes ALL Barber, or just The Adagio.....

Frequent Contributor

Music is indeed very powerful.  Lots of studies have been done with individuals with dementia and how music helps them overcome some of their issues. 

They become more engaged, are more oriented to time and place and are happier. 

It's really amazing to see.  Google it and watch some of the videos.  The transformation is remarkable and just demonstrates how important music is to us throughout our lives - in ways we can't even imagine.  When we get older, that music evokes memories of times, places and people that were important to us when we heard the music. 

I wish I had been more thoughtful about this when my kids were growing up.  I would have tried to attach some wonderful songs to some wonderful moments to help us all when we get older!

Esteemed Contributor

@violann wrote:

I'm currently taking coursework in the effects of music in the human experience and the research is fascinating.

As you are aware, the particular piece the baby was listening to is almost universally regarded (in Western music) as a statement of loss, sorrow, tragedy.

See how he reacts to the 2nd mvt of the Barber violin concerto or The School For Scandal overture.

I'd say as a guess that "your" baby has an awesome sense of the meaning and relevance of sounds. 

Let us know if the baby dislikes ALL Barber, or just The Adagio.....

I wanted to say thank you to everyone for responding.

I have him over tomorrow and by the time read this today, I was no longer with him so I will check that out.

I told my daughter about this and today we went to youtube and played it again because she wanted to see. I felt kind of bad doing this again, torturing the poor child! He had the same exact reaction. Making no noise, just the lower lip pout and tears rolling down his face. I made her turn it off immediately after she watched his reaction. She started to cry after she saw his reaction. His little face just looks so sad, it is hard not to cry when you witness it.

Thanks again everyone!

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

So I went to listen to this and my husband looked over at me and said "I was listening to that at the gym yesterday." Sure enough, he gets out his spotify and it was on his playlist. Woman Surprised Anyway, very interesting that your grand baby did that. It's so intriguing that certain music triggers something within us, even at a young age. There are certain songs I hear that instantly bring tears to my eyes. Maybe he has an old soul.....Smiley Wink

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@FUTURE wrote:

So I went to listen to this and my husband looked over at me and said "I was listening to that at the gym yesterday." Sure enough, he gets out his spotify and it was on his playlist. Woman Surprised Anyway, very interesting that your grand baby did that. It's so intriguing that certain music triggers something within us, even at a young age. There are certain songs I hear that instantly bring tears to my eyes. Maybe he has an old soul.....Smiley Wink

Oh wow. What a small world.

There are songs that do that to me too and I don't know why it never occured to me that it would with a baby. I always say I think he has an old soul. He loves older songs. One of his favorite songs that I sing to him is "What'll I Do". He will just sit there as quiet as can be with a big smile on his face. He loves Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and older artist like that.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Respected Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

@FUTURE wrote:

Oh wow. What a small world.

There are songs that do that to me too and I don't know why it never occured to me that it would with a baby. I always say I think he has an old soul. He loves older songs. One of his favorite songs that I sing to him is "What'll I Do". He will just sit there as quiet as can be with a big smile on his face. He loves Billie Holiday, Frank Sinatra, Ella Fitzgerald and older artist like that.

oh, I LOVE that song. I like the Linda Ronstadt and Nat King Cole versions. you should also listen to this version. He has such a great voice! 

http://youtu.be/55A-npzV0zw

its so great that you're introducing him to all kinds of music!!!!!

Esteemed Contributor

Futre, thanks for that link. He is wonderful and VERY easy on the eyes too!

JFK
Respected Contributor

What a interesting thread!

Thanks.  Music really does hit our 

emotions and brings up memories 

good and bad as well.  Interesting 

how babies can feel the good and 

sad vibes like we do.

😊

••• Please adopt don't shop ••• Save a life adopt a pet •••
Trusted Contributor

I can understand.....beautiful music can move me to tears, as well.  I think you have a very perceptive baby who is already a music lover.  Smiley Happy

On another note (pun intended), I have to tell you about one of my grandchildren.  When Zoey was a baby, she would burst out in unhappy tears when anyone would sing "Happy Birthday".  It was the darndest thing.  She loved being sung to, but by the second note of "Happy Birthday", she was done for.  She was probably three years old before she would tolerate it.

Honored Contributor

@CardinalGirl wrote:

I can understand.....beautiful music can move me to tears, as well.  I think you have a very perceptive baby who is already a music lover.  Smiley Happy

On another note (pun intended), I have to tell you about one of my grandchildren.  When Zoey was a baby, she would burst out in unhappy tears when anyone would sing "Happy Birthday".  It was the darndest thing.  She loved being sung to, but by the second note of "Happy Birthday", she was done for.  She was probably three years old before she would tolerate it.

Absolutely LOVE this story!!!!!! I've known other babies that did this too. I CANNOT WAIT to take my next course! How sad that some adults STILL think that babies come mentally unequipped!