Esteemed Contributor

Re: Babies crying over music?

@SusieQ_2 wrote:

From Wikipedia:

Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings is a short instrumental piece for orchestra. The work is a slow, minor-key lament, which evokes a deep sadness in those who hear it… TheAdagio has captured the emotions of millions of listeners since Barber first wrote it as the middle movement of a string quartet in September 1936.

—Thomas Larson, on Adagio for Strings.

Also from Wikipedia:

Alexander J. Morin, author of Classical Music: The Listener's Companion, said that the piece was "full of pathos and cathartic passion" and that it "rarely leaves a dry eye."

I guess they weren't kidding and I loved your story. Music is an incredibly powerful medium. 

Thank you SusieQ, it really is powerful.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Esteemed Contributor

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I have never had this experience before and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. Yesterday I was with my grandson in the morning. Ever since he has been a tiny baby I play music, all kinds of music. Classical, rap, hard rock, punk, etc... wehn he is around. Yesterday I put on one of the Sirius stations (classical) and had it on for a few minutes when my grandson (13 months) started crying. It was such a different cry than he has ever had and I cannot explain it except to say that he seem profoundly sad. His lower lip started to quiver and tears streamed down his face. He didn't make a crying noise but just the saddest face with a constant stream of tears. At first I didn't realize what was making him cry. My dogs were not around so I know he wasn't bitten. As I was checking his body to see if maybe he was bitten by an ant or something, I turned down the speakers. He stopped crying. I waited about 30 seconds and turned on the music again, he started to cry again. I did this 3 more times until I was sure it was the music. It was, I am positive. Now I look back and realize there was one other time he cried when I had classical music on and at the time, I didn't realize that is what was causing him cry.

His reaction to this music has been something I can't get off of my mind. It was just so sad that it made me sad.

Has anyone experienced this before?

The piece was Samuel Barber Adagio for Strings

This piece is written in a minor key!  Music written thusly tends to have a sad element to it.  It's quite possible your grandchild is very sensitive to music written in a minor key.

I'd go for more cheerful music with simple melodic lines vice fugue-like play on contra melodies.

Esteemed Contributor

@sfnative wrote:

@Irshgrl31201 wrote:

I have never had this experience before and was wondering if anyone else had experienced this. Yesterday I was with my grandson in the morning. Ever since he has been a tiny baby I play music, all kinds of music. Classical, rap, hard rock, punk, etc... wehn he is around. Yesterday I put on one of the Sirius stations (classical) and had it on for a few minutes when my grandson (13 months) started crying. It was such a different cry than he has ever had and I cannot explain it except to say that he seem profoundly sad. His lower lip started to quiver and tears streamed down his face. He didn't make a crying noise but just the saddest face with a constant stream of tears. At first I didn't realize what was making him cry. My dogs were not around so I know he wasn't bitten. As I was checking his body to see if maybe he was bitten by an ant or something, I turned down the speakers. He stopped crying. I waited about 30 seconds and turned on the music again, he started to cry again. I did this 3 more times until I was sure it was the music. It was, I am positive. Now I look back and realize there was one other time he cried when I had classical music on and at the time, I didn't realize that is what was causing him cry.

His reaction to this music has been something I can't get off of my mind. It was just so sad that it made me sad.

Has anyone experienced this before?

The piece was Samuel Barber Adagio for Strings

This piece is written in a minor key!  Music written thusly tends to have a sad element to it.  It's quite possible your grandchild is very sensitive to music written in a minor key.

I'd go for more cheerful music with simple melodic lines vice fugue-like play on contra melodies.

Ahhh!! Thank you. I definitely will.

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

I just listened to it, and it's true that it's not a bouncy, happy piece.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

Here is link to an article written by a Psychologist about the baby crying while his mother sings. Might give you some insight as to why.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/what-shapes-film/201311/why-does-baby-cry-when-her-mother-sings...

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Honored Contributor

If I even hear the song A song for you by Leon Russell, or Learn How to Pretend by Boz Skaggs I cry.  Especially Learn How to pretend.  during the song he hits note with strings, and it brings tears to my eyes.

I was in a store paying for something at register, and the song was playing  over the loud speaker.  I had to hurry, my eyes were filling up.

Music evokes passion, emotions in the soul.  Babies are sponges, everthing is so new in the world.  I don't see why they wouldn't feel the emotion in music.

Esteemed Contributor

Irishgirl,

I really had to come back to your topic to add a little something before I go to bed.

I've been performing vocally, instrumentally and on the piano since the age of 4.  By far, the performance that moves me to tears each time I sing it as a member of a large classical choral group with symphonic orchestra is Mozart's Requiem Mass in D Minor - specifically the "Lacrimosa" movement.

Even listening to this movement tears at my heart and soul and tears course down my face.  "Lacrimosa" is the best example I can think of of the application of music written in a minor key affecting the emotional center of the brain.

I would urge all to listen to it (not the entire mass).  It can be found on Mozart - Requiem - YouTube.

Honored Contributor

My dog, the one pictured in my avatar, gets up immediately and goes outside (dog door) when I start singing.  Does that mean anything?

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@@Smuggles    The baby in the video is crying at being excruciated by that awful song, sung in that awful way!!!!

Trusted Contributor

Just wanted to say this was a very interesting post,I had no idea that music was that powerful for some.