Honored Contributor

Re: BWW employee dead from cleaning agent :(

Don't get me started.............

I'm forever worried about new borns and toddlers/children getting overly chemical-ized.

Their tiny lungs are so tiny, unable to safely handle, say, dryer sheets' coatings and  strong laundry detergents.

RIP the deceased victim.

Elementary, Middle, and High School students should have some sort of required chemical safety classes.

And have to pass a test.

For their own good.

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Esteemed Contributor

@skatting44 wrote:

What a horrid thing to happen. It must be so difficult for his family .

I do know that  many  cleaning agents  can cause  chemical reactions if Mixed with other cleaning agents and can release a toxic gas  that you breathe into your lungs.

I knew a lady  abt 30 yrs ago whose Father had been cleaning a toilet at a rental property and he mixed  two different cleaning agents in the toilet bowl - likely something with chlorine &   a toilet bowl product.  A chemical reaction occured rapidly and he was blinded . Teaches you to respect  chemicals and read product  labels.   Ever since I have read the  cleaning chemical labels  very carefully and  never mix any two  cleaning agents. I use  the same cleaning product all through the house  and never buy anything thing else .

I knew never to use 2 cleaning products at the same time --- very toxic.

Frequent Contributor

Sympathy to the General Manager who passed away and speedy recovery to the other people who went to local hospitals.

My Husband and Son work near this restaurant in Burlington, very tragic.  My Son and his friends have gone to this location many times.  

So tragic for his wife and newborn.  The Burlington, Mass Chamber of Commerce has set-up an account for his spouse and child at a local bank, Cambridge Savings Bank. 

The restaurant will remain closed, according to local news and OSHA and corporate management were due in today.  Hoping other establishments that use these chemicals reviews procedures when using these chemicals.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Long, long story about a house/person we visited and very strong moth balls odor...................

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Respected Contributor

Here is an update (from CBS news and other sources):

"The incident occurred yesterday afternoon (Nov. 7), when a worker at a Buffalo Wild Wings in Burlington, Massachusetts, began cleaning the restaurant floor, according to NBC News. The worker used a cleaner called Super 8, a bleach-based solution that contains the compound sodium hypochlorite. However, unbeknownst to the worker, an acid-based cleaner called Scale Kleen had spilled onto the floor earlier, NBC reported.

The mixture of the two chemicals resulted in a substance that "turned green and started to bubble," Burlington Fire Chief Michael Patterson, told NBC. The worker developed burning eyes and breathing problems, and left the area. Then, a manager tried to squeegee away the mixture, but he developed serious symptoms and was unable to continue. The manager, who has been identified as 32-year-old Ryan Baldera, later died at the hospital, according to local news...."