Honored Contributor

Re: BWW employee dead from cleaning agent :(

So horrible and sad and really unnecessary. Just someone doing his job----I feel for their family----

Honored Contributor

@godi wrote:

This is so sad. I worked in a hardware store and birds would get in through lawn and garden. The manager hired some man to come in at night to get rid of them. We all thought he was going to be humane about it but alas no. He sprayed and put chemicals all over. I opened that morning with two other people. Within a half hour our lungs were on fire, eyes swelling shut. Hard to breath. We called an ambulance and they shut us down. Called in Hazmat. It was crazy. We had to dispose of our clothes. We were rushed to hospitals where they scrubbed us down and monitored us for 24 hours. Thank goodness no lasting lung and vision damage. They blew the store out with fans. Reopened the next day. The fly by night bird killer was sited for using illegal chemicals in the wrong environment. 

That is  REALLY  bad.  He could have used nets.

Super Contributor

@LindaSal  I can't use bleach to clean or whiten clothes. It literally takes my breath away and sears my lungs. I had a toilet one time that needed to be whiten from mold buildup. I drenched paper towels in bleach and placed around the inside of toilet. I cleaned the toilet. Seared my lungs and couldn't sleep in my bedroom for a month. It took forever to air out my room. I never buy bleach or use the Clorex bleach wipes. 

Respected Contributor

Bad week for BWW

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Buffalo Wild Wings employee dies after exposure to 'common' cleaning agent, 10 others hospitalized.

An employee of a Buffalo Wild Wings in Massachusetts died and 10 others were hospitalized Thursday night after being exposed to a floor cleaner inside the restaurant. 

Just after 5:30 p.m. Thursday, emergency responders in Burlington were called to the scene following the report of a "sick individual and a potential chemical release," interim Fire Chief Michael Patterson told reporters in a video from the scene.

Patterson said the fire department arrived and found a man being treated by paramedics outside of the restaurant. He was transported to a hospital, where he died. 

The man, an employee of the restaurant, was exposed to a sodium hypochlorite floor cleaner called "Super 8," which Patterson said is commonly used. Of the 11 total people hospitalized as a result of the incident, only two were customers, Patterson said. 

Things affect people differently! This is awful.  Once a neighbor became very ill after their carpet was cleaned by a carpet cleaning company.  Things can be so toxic!

Sodium hypochlorite is Chlorine Bleach. The same chemical found in Chlorox. Either there is inadequate ventilation, a manufacturing error by the mfr of the Super 8, or, I’m thinking, that the cleaner was somehow mixed this with ammonia or any other acid. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

About Super 8. It contains sodium hypochlorite at 8%-10%.Thats high.

Usually used for Commercial settings, Chlorox Disinfecting Bleach, has sodium hypochlorite at 7.4%. 

“At 7.4% sodium hypochlorite, Clorox® Disinfecting Bleach is more concentrated than most other bleach products.” source:http://en.esbe.com/Customer/esscin/specpages/CloroxBleach.pdf

Chlorox for HOME USE contains 6% sodium hypochlorite. Chlorox has lowered the concentration in their latest product. 
“The new Clorox® Regular Bleach2 with CLOROMAX® Technology formula contains 6.0% sodium hypochlorite, compared to 8.25% in the previous formulation.”

THIS IS PAGE 1 OF THE COMMERCIAL DATA SAFETY SHEET FOR SUPER 8.
E9F7FF25-42CD-415C-8283-0F130727AE1F.png
Honored Contributor

I assume someone grossly misused that cleaning product.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Chlorine Bleach Safety      By  Andrew Thostenson

Chlorine bleach is a common household chemical with unique properties that make it useful in flood cleanup and recovery activities.

Essentially, chlorine bleach is a diluted mixture of water and sodium hypochlorite. Typically, it is sold over the counter as a laundering and cleaning solution with concentrations of sodium hypochlorite ranging from 4 to 6 percent. It also is sold as a sanitizing and/or disinfecting agent and may have concentrations ranging from 4 to as high as 9 percent.

Sodium hypochlorite, the active ingredient in chlorine bleach, is a very powerful oxidizer. Oxidation reactions are corrosive, and solutions burn skin and cause irreversible eye damage, particularly when used in concentrated forms. Thus, users must take a number of precautions to avoid personal injury when working with bleach.

When handling relatively concentrated chlorine bleach right out of the container, always:

• Wear eye protection such as wrap-around safety glasses and/or goggles to avoid getting the bleach in your eyes.
  • Wear rubber household gloves or nitrile gloves to avoid skin exposure.
  • Wear clothing that will cover your skin in case of spills. At a minimum, wear a long-sleeved shirt, pants, socks and shoes. If you want additional protection, chemical protective aprons and disposable protective suits are available from pesticide safety or industrial safety equipment suppliers.
  • Open the container and mix out of doors or in a very well-ventilated room to avoid a buildup of vapors, which can cause eye and/or respiratory irritation.
  • Wash your hands vigorously with mild soap and water before you use the bathroom, eat, smoke or use smokeless tobacco.
  • Shower and wash yourself thoroughly with soap and shampoo at the end of the day.

If exposed to the concentrated material:

• Eyes: Hold the eye open and rinse slowly and gently with water for 15 to 20 minutes. Remove contact lenses, if present, after the first five minutes, then continue rinsing the eye. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice.
  • Skin or clothing: Take off the contaminated clothing. Rinse the skin immediately with plenty of water for 15 to 20 minutes. Call a poison control center or doctor for treatment advice.
  • Swallowed: Have the person sip a glassful of water if able to swallow. Do not induce vomiting unless told to do so by a poison control center or doctor. Do not give anything by mouth to an unconscious person.

When working with bleach diluted with water and/or soap, remember to:

• Continue to protect your eyes and skin by keeping them covered.
  • Make sure the area you are working in is very well-ventilated. If possible, use fans to exchange inside air with outdoor air and leave windows or doors open for the maximum dissipation of vapors.
  • Wash your hands vigorously with mild soap and water before you use the bathroom, eat, smoke or use smokeless tobacco.
  • Shower and wash yourself thoroughly with soap and shampoo at the end of the day.

These are some additional issues to consider when working with bleach:

• It will fade colors in clothes and slowly break down cloth fibers.
  • It is corrosive to bare metals.
  • Vapors can cause people who have compromised respiratory systems (for example, those who suffer from asthma, allergies and/or COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease)) to experience serious discomfort or even acute distress that may require medical attention.
  • A toxic gas will be released if bleach is mixed with other cleaning agents, especially ammonia. An explosion can occur if sufficient quantities are mixed.
  • Follow all applicable safety precautions and use the instructions on the product label.

Esteemed Contributor

This is just frightening! I am at a loss for words right now.😲

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

One thing to consider is that the restaurant purchased what they thought was Super 8. I read an article months ago that discussed the counterfeiting of things, such as large drums of cleaning products. Tide is often counterfeited.

A six-gallon bucket of counterfeit Tide.