Respected Contributor

BWW employee dead from cleaning agent :(

[ Edited ]

Buffalo Wild Wings employee dies after exposure to 'common' cleaning agent, 10 others hospitalized.

An employee of a Buffalo Wild Wings in Massachusetts died and 10 others were hospitalized Thursday night after being exposed to a floor cleaner inside the restaurant. 

Just after 5:30 p.m. Thursday, emergency responders in Burlington were called to the scene following the report of a "sick individual and a potential chemical release," interim Fire Chief Michael Patterson told reporters in a video from the scene.

Patterson said the fire department arrived and found a man being treated by paramedics outside of the restaurant. He was transported to a hospital, where he died. 

The man, an employee of the restaurant, was exposed to a sodium hypochlorite floor cleaner called "Super 8," which Patterson said is commonly used. Of the 11 total people hospitalized as a result of the incident, only two were customers, Patterson said. 

Things affect people differently! This is awful.  Once a neighbor became very ill after their carpet was cleaned by a carpet cleaning company.  Things can be so toxic!

Esteemed Contributor

Re: BWW employee dead from cleaning agent :(

This is so sad. I worked in a hardware store and birds would get in through lawn and garden. The manager hired some man to come in at night to get rid of them. We all thought he was going to be humane about it but alas no. He sprayed and put chemicals all over. I opened that morning with two other people. Within a half hour our lungs were on fire, eyes swelling shut. Hard to breath. We called an ambulance and they shut us down. Called in Hazmat. It was crazy. We had to dispose of our clothes. We were rushed to hospitals where they scrubbed us down and monitored us for 24 hours. Thank goodness no lasting lung and vision damage. They blew the store out with fans. Reopened the next day. The fly by night bird killer was sited for using illegal chemicals in the wrong environment. 

Respected Contributor

I'm very sensitive to chemicals and this is very troubling IMO.  I've posted about this before but I'll say it again that I hate when restaurant employees clean right under your feet and all around while people are eating. People will disagree but I don't like when they spray down tables right next to me, the chemicals flying in my face while I'm eating.

Super Contributor

I agree with you.  I do not like it when the employee uses chemicals to clean the table right next to me.  I smell those chemicals.   

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Lets see what is determined first. It might be that he is sensative to this substance or maybe someone tampered with it. We live in a world where some people do this sort of thing.

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

What a horrid thing to happen. It must be so difficult for his family .

I do know that  many  cleaning agents  can cause  chemical reactions if Mixed with other cleaning agents and can release a toxic gas  that you breathe into your lungs.

I knew a lady  abt 30 yrs ago whose Father had been cleaning a toilet at a rental property and he mixed  two different cleaning agents in the toilet bowl - likely something with chlorine &   a toilet bowl product.  A chemical reaction occured rapidly and he was blinded . Teaches you to respect  chemicals and read product  labels.   Ever since I have read the  cleaning chemical labels  very carefully and  never mix any two  cleaning agents. I use  the same cleaning product all through the house  and never buy anything thing else .

Respected Contributor

I am very chemical sensitive and this is scary. I dont use chemicals to clean or in laundry. I am so careful what I use around the house and on my skin too!!

Esteemed Contributor

Sodium Hypochlorite (bleach) can be extremely toxic!   I won't even have that chemical in my house.  A few years ago we had a roof leaking and developed some mold.  They used this substance to remove the mold and the company had to wear special suits and masks!   Not a good thing and totally bad for the surrounding environment.

Respected Contributor

Also, never, ever mix bleach with ammonia. Causes a gas.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Yeah....when I read 'chemical release'....I immediately thought

the employee mixed cleaning agents, either by mistake or

on purpose. 

I think a lot of people are picturing them using something

like 409 or Windex....and suddenly people were falling over.

Nope.