Honored Contributor

@goldensrbest wrote:

Growing up in southern Indiana, we would go to linclonville,that is what we called it ,where he was raised ,his mothers grave is there.

I'd like to see that @goldensrbest Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

lincolns

Abe Lincoln's parents

Honored Contributor

Abe Lincoln's parents (a guess for his mom)

Meet Thomas and Nancy Hanks Lincoln, the parents of the 16th President. The image of Thomas is from an actual photo whereas the image of Nancy is an artist’s rendition of what she may have looked like.

No photo of Nancy exists because she, at the age of 34, died on Oct. 5, 1818, before photography was invented.

“She had dark hair, was 5 ft., 7 in. high with a spare, delicate frame…had a clear, intellectual mind, was amiable, kind, charitable and affectionate, and was loved and revered by everyone that knew her.”

More here:

http://historymysteryman.com/meet-the-parents-of-abraham-lincoln/

Honored Contributor

His mother is very pretty.  Hubby looks old enough to be her grandfather. Smiley Surprised

"Never argue with a fool. Onlookers may not be able to tell the difference."

220-AuCC-US-CRM-Header-Update.gif

Honored Contributor

Very fun thread, Noel7.   If I remember right, Abe's father was a rough, uncouth character, and it is surmised that some of his better qualities were bequeathed by his mother.  Didn't he get lucky in his step-mother as well?  I thought I read she treated him kindly and encouraged him.

The fact that his origins were obscure, and his background somewhat "checquered", is partly what makes him such a great symbol and so lovable.  I suppose it's the idea that greatness can happen anywhere, in any gene pool.  Very inspiring!