Honored Contributor

Re: BUMBLE BEE TUNA files for bankruptcy

A Tuna Cartel.................LMBO

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Honored Contributor

I buy/eat a lot of tuna ... I honestly can't tell one brand from another.  My only criteria is that it's packed in oil.

Respected Contributor

LOL It's not tuna sales which are in decline, it's canned tuna. Meanwhile, sales of pouches of tuna are increasing 20% a year, supposedly thanks to millennials, many of whom don't even own a can opener. (We already know they favor breakfast bars over cereal because they don't want to wash the dishes.)

I do eat albacore tuna (at one time, ONLY Bumble Bee ) but Bumble Bee's quality has plummeted, and that's not even a recent thing because the first cat I said I wouldn't feed it to died 20 years ago. 🤔

When I was in college, many moons ago, mom would send care packages, including the tiny cans of BB albacore tuna in oil. I'd share them with my roommate.

Now I buy Wild Planet albacore in EVOO. Exclusively.

What worries you masters you.
Honored Contributor

@ValuSkr wrote:

I used to like Bumble Bee but was turned off when, four years ago, an employee was cooked alive in 12,000 pounds of tuna fish.  It was a horrific accident.

I just found out about it.  Horrible!  I had stopped buying any canned tuna because of Mercury problem.  I hesitate now to get any fish out of the ocean.  The water is becoming so polluted.  

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

I subscribe to several health/nutrition newsletters from respected sources. Tuna is on the "good list" when it comes to being beneficial for us, and  only certain types of tuna are on the not-so-good fish list, mostly because of mercury or other issues.

Light tuna is supposedly preferable to albacore white tuna when it comes to the amount of beneficial omega fatty acids available in the fish.

Everyone should probably delve into some online info from good sources to determine which fish and other types of seafood they wish to eat.

Meanwhile, from what I've read,  trout and  most of the tuna readily available in stores  rank high in being good for humans and low in harmful stuff.

The really bad ones include fish with higher levels of mercury contamination, which are:
shark
swordfish
king mackerel
tilefish

Esteemed Contributor

This news is a tad distressing. I had never heard of any of this, but ,I suppose I should not be surprised because this is yet another example of corporate greed. Most troubling to me, was reading about the tragic death of an employee. My heart bleeds for anyone that was affected by it.

~~~All we need is LOVE💖

Honored Contributor

I've never cared for Bumble Bee or Starkist. When all the companies began making the cans smaller but Chicken of the Sea kept their cans sold at Costco the same, larger size, I began buying them at Costco. When Costco began offering their version of the product in the large cans but at a cheaper price, I purchased those and never looked back. We don't like the Albacore and it must be in water. Aldi's is my back-up when Costco is out.

Honored Contributor

I thought the use of the word "cartel" was a bit dramatic, but apparently it's a thing.  But we only hear of it in terms of drug cartels.

A cartel is a group of independent market participants, whose goal is to improve their profits and/or market position by reducing their mutual competition. Cartels of the economic sphere are usually associations of entrepreneurs of the same trade, and thus alliances of rivals.

===================================
QVC Shopper - 1993

# IAMTEAMWEN
Honored Contributor

I seem to prefer Chicken of the Sea canned salmon.

As far as tuna, I've been very happy with local Lucky, their in-store supermarket brand.

A long, long time ago (years and years and years ago), all tuna had a odd taste.

Not anymore, thank goodness

We have tuna or Salmon once a week.  

'More or less', 'Right or wrong', 'In general', and 'Just thinking out loud ' (as usual).
Regular Contributor

The nuclear power plant in Japan was never repaired and continues to empty radioactive water into the ocean.  Skipjack from the Arctic which is what Dr Oz states contains the least amount of mercury yet the Arctic is way too close for comfort. Scientists don't know how to stop that nightmare.   When sea life has offspring with strange mutations, I wonder if fishermen will just catch that as well for consumption.  Who would even know as I'm sure they don't want their livelihood eliminated.