Respected Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

At first I thought this was referring to a shortage of items associated with BTS, the K-Pop group! Woman Very Happy

The Triumph of BTS: Rolling Stone Cover Story - Rolling Stone

Ha ha -- so did I! It took me a minute to figure out what this was about.

Trusted Contributor

LLBean backpacks are the only ones I buy for my grandkids and used to buy for our  kids; they last forever and will monogram them. I have even put them in the washer when a pen leaked inside one and it looked like new. One of my grands carried the same one for four years of school then just wanted a new design. They are well worth the extra money. 

I was at Kroger yesterday and they are putting a limit on paper products again such as bath tissue and paper towels. Limit 2 per customer. I hope that is not an omen of more shortages. The back to school shortages in some cases are probably bogus and intended to drive up prices even more....and things are already getting too expensive for many parents...even with extra money from the gov't.

Esteemed Contributor

Boy everyday it's something else that's in short supply. 

Esteemed Contributor

@lolakimono wrote:

If you haven't read about it, there is a shortage of some "back to school" items, particularly sneakers, due to lower inventory, high demand and shipping delays.

Other high demand items are backpacks, stationery, sports equipment, laptops and tablets.

If you need to purchase for your family, you might start looking now to see what's available.

I have a college grandson and great g.children starting.  This is soooo sad...........

Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

I was at Kroger yesterday and they are putting a limit on paper products again such as bath tissue and paper towels. Limit 2 per customer. I hope that is not an omen of more shortages. 

@Duckncover 

Just another hint that the next lockdown is coming...

~My philosophy: Dogs are God's most perfect creatures. Angels, here on Earth, who teach us to be better human beings.~
Honored Contributor

For those who can get out early and pick up needed supplies-that is fine.

Yet there are children who are in shelters/protective services who will be the ones to really suffer if the demand for school supplies cannot be met.

Around here, as I'm sure happens elsewhere, there are drives to donate supplies to those in need.

I hope people do not start over-buying supplies, too, leaving other students without their supplies.

If you only need 2 glue sticks, please do not buy 10.

I hope stores will limit purchases.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@LindaSal wrote:

LL Bean has backpacks available to ship right away if anyone is in need.  Agree that people need to shop early for the school year.   Good of you to remind people about the shortages we are experiencing @lolakimono.

@LindaSal   Agree about LL Bean.

Yes, shop early but do not hoard.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Trusted Contributor

I hope there is not another lockdown coming! We are fully vaccinated and I don't intend to just sit home staring at DH for months again. Am finally enjoying getting out and about even though it isn't as much as before. Seeing paper products limited to 2 per customer was unsettling though. 

Trusted Contributor

Most of the schools in our districts sell school supply bundles that the PTAs put together. They mark it up a few dollars so it is a fundraiser for the school and parents appreciate not having to hunt stores for stuff and stand in lines. Children who can't afford or don't have access to school supplies always get more than enough via social services, nonprofits, churches, and the city. When I was teaching jr. high, I routinely bought backpacks when they were on clearance and other supplies and put them aside for kids who showed up with none or with used book bags that were worn out. I took the backpacks and supplies to the office and had the counselors and gave them the names of students who needed them. Never wanted them to know they were from me. Many of my fellow teachers did the same. 

Honored Contributor

Thanks @lolakimono! I help every year giving backpacks and supplies to local children in need. We started 3 weeks ago. People donate what they can. I will look tomorrow and see what we already have so I can give some people a "heads up."   Smiley Happy