Honored Contributor

Re: BREAKING NEWS: REPORTS OF FATALITIES IN MILWAUKEE ACTIVE SHOOTING

@jeanlake wrote:

So much unresolved anger and hopelessness. Wish leaders took a serious look at our country's #19 standing (we keep getting lower each year) in the happiness scale. How does the following UN criteria relate to current America? 

• the GDP per capita or gross domestic product -  monetary value of all finished goods and services made within a country during a specific period 
  • healthy life expectancy
  • generosity
  • freedom from corruption
  • having someone to count on
  • freedom to make life choices

@jeanlake 

Not sure exactly what you are asking with your question.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Employers need to work with local police to meet these employees at their homes where firearms can be removed and the firing occuring immediately after. 

"I'm sure "rights" advocates would shoot that down, pun not intended".

@Free2be 

And I would be one of them!

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@jeanlake wrote:

So much unresolved anger and hopelessness. Wish leaders took a serious look at our country's #19 standing (we keep getting lower each year) in the happiness scale. How does the following UN criteria relate to current America? 

• the GDP per capita or gross domestic product -  monetary value of all finished goods and services made within a country during a specific period 
  • healthy life expectancy
  • generosity
  • freedom from corruption
  • having someone to count on
  • freedom to make life choices

@jeanlake 

Not sure exactly what you are asking with your question.

hckynut

@hckynut @jeanlake

Seems like people want the government to make life choices for them now more than they want to make them themselves. . . just a comment.   At least sometimes it seems that way to me.  

Or the government wants to make those choices.  .  .  I don't know, but seems like nobody is responsible for themselves nowdays.  

I intend this as a perception about individuals of all political persuasions.  So this is NOT intended as a political statement. 

Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

These arguments make no sense. If you go shoot a bunch of people, and then someone shoots you dead to stop you, doesn't that restrict your rights for the rest of time? I mean, if you're dead, you can't exercise any rights or freedoms at all.

The priorities seem upside down to me. We all deserve to live and exercise our rights.

@Porcelain  I'm not following your logic.  We do have the right to self-defense.

A person who initiates the kill takes the risk of his/her life being cut short.  In most cases the shooter takes his own life anyway.

The shooter takes it upon himself to decide if his rights will be restricted.

If he is not killed or does not kill himself, his rights are restricted with prison time.

Either way, nobody took those rights away but himself.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh
Honored Contributor

@feline groovy wrote:

Healthy coping skills must be taught during childhood or there will be lifelong implications.

@feline groovy 

I agree, and by their parents, not school teachers. Professionals yes, if needed.

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Esteemed Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Employers need to work with local police to meet these employees at their homes where firearms can be removed and the firing occuring immediately after.  I'm sure "rights" advocates would shoot that down, pun not intended.  But there are people who are known to their employers to be hot heads and it is reasonable to be able to be proactive for the safety of other employees.

How many people would be alive if this were possible?  Of course, the fired employee could later get another firearm, or later have theirs returned, and shoot up the workplace but at least there would be time for a good cool down and the workplace would have time to set up safety features.

People get fired from jobs everyday all over the country.

Someday, when scientists discover the center of the Universe....some people will be disappointed it is not them.
Honored Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

@BExplorer wrote:

@Free2be wrote:

Employers need to work with local police to meet these employees at their homes where firearms can be removed and the firing occuring immediately after.  I'm sure "rights" advocates would shoot that down, pun not intended.  But there are people who are known to their employers to be hot heads and it is reasonable to be able to be proactive for the safety of other employees.

How many people would be alive if this were possible?  Of course, the fired employee could later get another firearm, or later have theirs returned, and shoot up the workplace but at least there would be time for a good cool down and the workplace would have time to set up safety features.

Exactly what right do the police have to take someone's guns because they have been fired/are about to be fired?  There is no legislation in place that allows for that.  

There's no perfect solution but something can be done, better than nothing.

@Free2be 

What to you would be that "something"?

hckynut

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

These arguments make no sense. If you go shoot a bunch of people, and then someone shoots you dead to stop you, doesn't that restrict your rights for the rest of time? I mean, if you're dead, you can't exercise any rights or freedoms at all.

The priorities seem upside down to me. We all deserve to live and exercise our rights.

@Porcelain  I'm not following your logic.  We do have the right to self-defense.

A person who initiates the kill takes the risk of his/her life being cut short.  In most cases the shooter takes his own life anyway.

If he is not killed or does not kill himself, his rights are restricted with prison time.

I don't think understanding my logic would do anything beneficial for you. Stay safe out there.

When you’re accustomed to privilege, equality feels like oppression.
"Power without love is reckless and abusive, and love without power is sentimental and anemic." - Dr. Martin Luther King Jr
Esteemed Contributor

@hckynut Hello - just saw your post. I read this week where our country's happiness rating dropped another point this year and the criteria that plays into the rating. I'm not saying the gov't needs to make us happy but it's always good to explore what's behind all the frustration and violence. It's absolutely on the rise. We hear this phrase - people who think they have nothing to lose are the most dangerous citizens. I'm like others -- having trouble understanding motives and mindsets and hopelessness. I guess you could say I was thinking out loud.        

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

@Porcelain wrote:

@Cakers3 wrote:

@Porcelain wrote:

I don't think understanding my logic would do anything beneficial for you. Stay safe out there.

@Porcelain   I made a simple statement for the purpose of mature dialogue. 

You could simply not reply instead of being insulting.

"" Compassion is a verb."-Thich Nhat Hanh