Regular Contributor

Re: BREAKING NEWS: REPORTS OF FATALITIES IN MILWAUKEE ACTIVE SHOOTING

From what they have been saying the shooter was fired this morning.

Esteemed Contributor

So much unresolved anger and hopelessness. Wish leaders took a serious look at our country's #19 standing (we keep getting lower each year) in the happiness scale. How does the following UN criteria relate to current America? 

• the GDP per capita or gross domestic product -  monetary value of all finished goods and services made within a country during a specific period 
  • healthy life expectancy
  • generosity
  • freedom from corruption
  • having someone to count on
  • freedom to make life choices

"I took a walk in the woods and came out taller than the trees." Henry David Thoreau
Honored Contributor

Eight people are now dead because some fool who was fired went home and got his gun and came back and decided to kill some people.  This is so very sick.  The shooter is no longer alive.  It's hard to believe someone can get so mad that they want to harm someone else.  I don't understand it but it seems to be the norm today.  My condolences to the victims' families.

kindness is strength
Respected Contributor

Employers need to work with local police to meet these employees at their homes where firearms can be removed and the firing occuring immediately after.  I'm sure "rights" advocates would shoot that down, pun not intended.  But there are people who are known to their employers to be hot heads and it is reasonable to be able to be proactive for the safety of other employees.

How many people would be alive if this were possible?  Of course, the fired employee could later get another firearm, or later have theirs returned, and shoot up the workplace but at least there would be time for a good cool down and the workplace would have time to set up safety features.

Trusted Contributor

@Free2be wrote:

Employers need to work with local police to meet these employees at their homes where firearms can be removed and the firing occuring immediately after.  I'm sure "rights" advocates would shoot that down, pun not intended.  But there are people who are known to their employers to be hot heads and it is reasonable to be able to be proactive for the safety of other employees.

How many people would be alive if this were possible?  Of course, the fired employee could later get another firearm, or later have theirs returned, and shoot up the workplace but at least there would be time for a good cool down and the workplace would have time to set up safety features.

Exactly what right do the police have to take someone's guns because they have been fired/are about to be fired?  There is no legislation in place that allows for that.  

"Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people."--Eleanor Roosevelt
Respected Contributor

This is only 45 mins from where I live. 6 people are dead - 5 plus the shooter who killed himself. I can't comment on all I know about this situation, but it's very very sad and unfortunate. 

Honored Contributor

I have had the news on for hours and have not seen any reports of the shootings at all....how awful it doesn’t even make the news here!
Honored Contributor

I put the news on as soon as I read about it. It was on here.

Respected Contributor

@lovesrecess wrote:
I have had the news on for hours and have not seen any reports of the shootings at all....how awful it doesn’t even make the news here!

Even the President mentioned it when giving his Coronavirus speech tonight.

Honored Contributor

Healthy coping skills must be taught during childhood or there will be lifelong implications.