Honored Contributor

Re: BREAKING NEWS - 15-20 pedestrians struck on London Bridge

hckynut (John),

It really pains me that people are taught to hate one another.  "Hard choices" are difficult, of course; I very much agree with you.  Separating the refugee problem from inviting evil to live among us is also difficult.

I live in Northern Virginia, and from coverage that I read in the newspaper, I see so many in the Muslim community assimilate beautifully.  I'm not saying they cease believing in Islam, but they have taken on the "typically American" suburban lifestyle. They are good Americans first, and the older ones are rearing their children to be followers of Girl and Boy Scouts, caring individuals, members of youth sport teams, etc.  Just like all the immigrants who came before.

Those who hold beliefs with which many of us are not familiar (beyond the desire to have a Holy War) are perplexing.  We cannot save or find every disaffected person who grabs onto the martyr brass ring because of personal craziness or desperation.  What can we do to save ourselves?  This is really as insane as the Israeli - Palestinian problem, which, I have sorrowfully concluded, cannot be peaceably resolved..

What do we do now?   

Honored Contributor

And exactly what would we do with our very own born-in-the-USA terrorists?

Honored Contributor

@tansy wrote:

And exactly what would we do with our very own born-in-the-USA terrorists?

Exactly @tansy, the two men killed for defending the young lady last week and the slaying on the college campus in Maryland the week before. Home grown terrorists!!!!!!!!

You Don't Own Me- Leslie Gore
(You don't Know) How Glad I Am- Nancy Wilson
Honored Contributor

@Isobel Archer wrote:

@Marp wrote:

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Oznell

I think the Brits have sadly lost the grit and determination they showed during WWII and after.  It's a not-so-brave new world over there...my belief is they (and other European nations) are committing national suicide in the name of kumbaya, and I wonder if they will be able to stop this madness before the point of no return.   

@MacDUFF, I think this tweet speaks for many.

Dear Terrorists, Londoners survived 57 consecutive bombings by the Nazis. The Nazis didn't break them. You won't break them.  #LondonBridge

I hope you are right.  But then the Nazis weren't invited to live among them either.

Speaking of London and A Brave New World, I have the feeling people here haven't read the book.

QVC Customer Care

Honored Contributor

FYI - The sect they belong to is called Wahhabism - led by the House of Saud.

As in, the rulers of Saudi Arabia.

Hmmmm....

Honored Contributor

Great points, @golding76!

The parents of the young guy who killed the people in the Charleston church probably were shocked by their son's actions.

One fact that seems to bind all these massacres together - they are almost always done by young men with sad lives that appear to be going nowhere fast. They may be on the verge of flunking out of school, they may be petty thieves, they sometimes have severe mental issues...

But they are generally young and male.

Something to study - IMO.

Honored Contributor

@MacDUFF wrote:

@Oznell

I think the Brits have sadly lost the grit and determination they showed during WWII and after.  It's a not-so-brave new world over there...my belief is they (and other European nations) are committing national suicide in the name of kumbaya, and I wonder if they will be able to stop this madness before the point of no return.   

@MacDUFF- This statement shows that you know nothing about the "grit and determination" of the Brits.

Married to one; lived there for 20 years (during the atrocities commited by the IRA).  They will not bow down to terrorism in any form.

Esteemed Contributor

@terrier3 wrote:

Hmmmm....

Interesting...the young man whom I have known since he was in middle school had a parent encourage him to join ISIS and they are Syrian refugees.  Now a teenager, he is currently being held for plotting with ISIS and he did some time as a juvenile (when he was in high school) for plotting with others to attack a US military post.  Long background story there, but he's an example that doesn't fit your stereotype.

Honored Contributor

@wildcat fan wrote:

@terrier3 wrote:

Hmmmm....

Interesting...the young man whom I have known since he was in middle school had a parent encourage him to join ISIS and they are Syrian refugees.  Now a teenager, he is currently being held for plotting with ISIS and he did some time as a juvenile (when he was in high school) for plotting with others to attack a US military post.  Long background story there, but he's an example that doesn't fit your stereotype.

He is YOUNG...and male...and has a juvenile record.

Not every person who does this has all the characteristics - but many have several.