Honored Contributor

Brad Pitt did drugs and drank hard before he was 40. He's 53 now.  It goes back to the time of Jennifer A.

This was no one else's fault, as much as some wish it was.

"“I spent years *bleeping* off,” Pitt, 49, tells Esquire in its June/July issue, on newsstands May 31. “But then I got burnt out and felt that I was wasting my opportunity. It was a conscious change. This was about a decade ago.” 

"At the time, he was scared it might be too late. He was reaching 40, and had been through years of hard living in search of an elusive high."

"For a long time I thought I did too much damage – drug damage,” he says. “I was a bit of a drifter. A guy who felt he grew up in something of a vacuum and wanted to see things, wanted to be inspired. I followed that other thing.”  

http://people.com/celebrity/brad-pitt-talks-about-past-drinking-drug-use/

Esteemed Contributor

I am surprised at some of these responses.

They were discussing the interview on a radio station this morning and he said he can't remember a day since college that he hadn't drank or smoked weed. Angie wasn't around then so she wasn't driving him to drink or smoke daily back then. 

Sounds like a guy who loves his wife and hopes he gets his family back by taking the steps to acknowledge it or at least a guy who recognizes he created some of the major problems. I mean this dude tried to steal a refueling truck at an airport. You gotta be pretty FUBAR'd to do something like that. 

If he thinks he was wrong and a major contributor to the divorce filing he could either keep his mouth shut and admit no wrong at all publicly and perhaps get a few more bucks or he could take some responsibility and show his wife and kids that he is really trying and does want to reconcile. I do think the court knows that people make big mistakes but admitting at least his fault shows he is trying to make some changes. Perhaps he knows it is too late but still wants to take some responsibility. How terrible. 

I don't put blame on him for not commenting earlier. That is a chaotic time and everyone handles it differently. 

Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable.
JFK
Honored Contributor

Re: BRAD PITT'S MEA CULPA

[ Edited ]

BRAD Pitt has revealed his drinking helped wreck his marriage when it became “too much” and compared his split from Angelina Jolie to a “death”.

The star has since stopped boozing, gone into therapy and, in his first interview since the break-up, admitted his split from the Hollywood actress was “self-inflicted”.

He also branded himself “emotionally retarded”...

“Truthfully I could drink a Russian under the table with his own vodka. I was a professional. I was good.”

In one of the articles I read, he admits his heavy drinking went back to his college days.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/3468112/brad-pitt-reveals-dramatic-weight-loss-as-he-poses-on-...

QVC Customer Care

This post has been removed by QVC because it is unkind

Honored Contributor

@Melania wrote:

My problem with the situation was that she was all too happy let him be vilified as a child abuser. 

Exactly!

I completely forgot that.  She's the one who demonized HIM!

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Honored Contributor

Re: BRAD PITT'S MEA CULPA

[ Edited ]

@Noel7 wrote:

Brad Pitt did drugs and drank hard before he was 40. He's 53 now.  It goes back to the time of Jennifer A.

"“I spent years *bleeping* off,” Pitt, 49, tells Esquire in its June/July issue, on newsstands May 31. “But then I got burnt out and felt that I was wasting my opportunity. It was a conscious change. This was about a decade ago.” 

"At the time, he was scared it might be too late. He was reaching 40, and had been through years of hard living in search of an elusive high."

"For a long time I thought I did too much damage – drug damage,” he says. “I was a bit of a drifter. A guy who felt he grew up in something of a vacuum and wanted to see things, wanted to be inspired. I followed that other thing.”  

Again, she was no saint.  She was into drugs at one point too.

Her past is certainly "colored" as well.

As Melania stated above, she certainly did try to demonize him when attempting to make him look like an abusive parent.

Setting boundaries and disciplining children by setting those boundaries isn't "abuse".

None of us know exactly what he did or didn't do.  I do not condone the drugs and alcohol, but I think she's very messed up herself.  She's very strange.  I think she's a philanthropist, but she is just weird.

"friends don't let friends drink white zinfandel"
Respected Contributor

@winamac1 wrote:

@Noel7 wrote:

Again, she was no saint.  She was into drugs at one point too.

Her past is certainly "colored" as well.

As Melania stated above, she certainly did try to demonize him when attempting to make him look like an abusive parent.

Setting boundaries and disciplining children by setting those boundaries isn't "abuse".

None of us know exactly what he did or didn't do.  I do not condone the drugs and alcohol, but I think she's very messed up herself.  She's very strange.  I think she's a philanthropist, but she is just weird.

Amen!!

Honored Contributor

Mea would like to Culpa Brad!!!!!

Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Honored Contributor

I wonder what Jennifer Aniston thinks about all this?

Trusted Contributor

@Noel7

Whew!  This discussion has certainly become interesting.

I read the interview this morning on the internet.

Since here in CA there is no-fault divorce, his admissions

all involve custody issues.  I totally agree that his forthright

attitude is helpful moving forward.

I always enjoy your posts.  Have a great (warm) day.  Hasn't the

weather been great!