Honored Contributor

BOB DYLAN HAS SOLD THE RIGHTS TO ALL HIS MUSIC

To Universal Music Group. Price was not disclosed but the experts have estimated the music is worth $200 or $300 million dollars. 

The times they are a changin'.

Source: Today's NY Post

Esteemed Contributor

Re: BOB DYLAN HAS SOLD THE RIGHTS TO ALL HIS MUSIC

@Pearlee 

I heard that this morning and wondered what it will all mean.   Will he have any control over how it is used?

At some point, I suppose, it makes sense to turn it over, but I'm curious how it will play out.

That's a lot of $$, but I'm sure he was already very wealthy.

Respected Contributor

Funny...I just read somewhere yesterday that Stevie Nicks did the same...

Honored Contributor

He's 79, he may as well capitalize on his music while he still can.

From Microsoft News:

Universal Music Group announced Monday that it had acquired Bob Dylan's entire catalog of songs in a deal that the New York Times estimated to be worth north of $300 million.

The deal includes 600-plus copyrights ranging from 1962's "Blowin' in the Wind" to 1964's "The Times They Are A-Changin" to this year's "Murder Most Foul" — a ballad about the 1963 assassination of John F. Kennedy that became the 79-year-old rock pioneer's first No. 1 hit.

"It's no secret that the art of songwriting is the fundamental key to all great music, nor is it a secret that Bob is one of the very greatest practitioners of that art," Lucian Grainge, the CEO of Universal Music Group, said in a statement.

A pioneer in the folk-rock movement of the 1960s, Dylan in 2016 memorably became the first songwriter in history to win the Nobel Prize in Literature. The Swedish Academy cited his work "for having created new poetic expressions within the great American song tradition."

"To represent the body of work of one of the greatest songwriters of all time — whose cultural importance can't be overstated — is both a privilege and a responsibility," Universal Music Publishing Group Chairman & CEO Jody Gerson said in a statement.

"We look forward to working with Bob and the team in ensuring his artistry continues to reach and inspire generations of fans, recording artists and songwriters around the world."

The deal caps a song catalog acquisition spree within the music industry this year.

Last week, the independent Primary Wave Music paid an estimated $80 million for a majority stake in former Fleetwood Mac frontwoman Stevie Nicks' back catalog.

And according to the Times, the U.K.-based Hipgnosis Songs Fund has spent at least $670 million this year accumulating 44,000 songs by Barry Manilow, Chrissie Hynde of the Pretenders, Blondie and other artists.

You never know how strong you are until being strong is the only choice you have.
Honored Contributor

There is already one iconic Dylan song used in a TV commercial so I don't know how it can get any worse.  He should have put conditions for use in the terms of the contract for the sale of the rights, unless he's only seeing dollar signs.

Respected Contributor

I guess at his age he decided to get the $ and do what he likes with it.  Don't blame him a bit...I would probably do the same.  Easier to get the cash than make all the other decisions as to how to use or not use the catalog.

I love his early stuff....won't mind at all seeing it pop up in advertising.

Honored Contributor

Probably a good move financially.  

Apparently Universal Music (buyer) is also buying a bunch of others including "Elton John and his co-writer Bernie Taupin, Adele and the Bee Gees."

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

Probably a good financial move but as an artist I could never do it. I know why the likes of a Taylor Swift do it in the beginning  to get signed with a Scooter Braun. At the end of the day his music was wonderful and will live on.

Wrong is still wrong just because you benefited from it.
Esteemed Contributor

Would have guessed they would be worth more.  Anyway, good for him.

Trusted Contributor

My husband was a HUGE Bob Dylan Fan.  Hubby passed away in September but I have to wonder what he would think about this.