Esteemed Contributor

Re: BOB DYLAN HAS SOLD THE RIGHTS TO ALL HIS MUSIC

Smart move..... 

QVC Customer Care
Trusted Contributor

I wonder if Bob will quit touring now.  I saw him in concert in October 2019 and so glad I did!  It had been on my bucket list for about 50 years. 

This coincided with around the same time that nearly all of his original recordings finally appeared on Youtube, which felt like a gift to many of his fans.  I wonder how free Youtube access to his songs will be affected by this sale?

Trusted Contributor

@Still Raining wrote:

Would have guessed they would be worth more.  Anyway, good for him.

Yeah, me too. Dylan's catalog is huge. I can see why he might do this at this stage in his life.

Trusted Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

I wonder if Bob will quit touring now.  I saw him in concert in October 2019 and so glad I did!  It had been on my bucket list for about 50 years. 

This coincided with around the same time that nearly all of his original recordings finally appeared on Youtube, which felt like a gift to many of his fans.  I wonder how free Youtube access to his songs will be affected by this sale?

My husband has seen him 18 times, and after being married for 30 years, I have seen him 9.  Could not always understand him, but had such a good time!

Respected Contributor

Bob has about 10 kids.  This will be easy to divide.

Honored Contributor

@KarenQVC wrote:

Bob has about 10 kids.  This will be easy to divide.

@KarenQVC  people should never assume what a person will do with his or her money. Many times it's not the norm.

Honored Contributor

@GrailSeeker wrote:

@GrailSeeker  I read he lives for touring and only stopped because of Covid. Sounds like he will be back when it's possible.

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

I read this last night.  David Crosby is also selling the rights to his music.  

"Musician David Crosby has said he is going to follow in the footsteps of Bob Dylan and Stevie Nicks by selling his song rights, claiming that streaming services have "stolen his record money".

The American rock star and founding member of the Byrds and Crosby, Stills and Nash said on Twitter that it is his "only option" and suggested the coronavirus pandemic also has had an impact.

It comes after Bob Dylan's entire back catalogue was acquired by Universal Music Group in a deal reported to be worth hundreds of millions of dollars.

Last week, singer Stevie Nicks sold an 80% share of her publishing copyrights to Primary Wave in a deal estimated to net $100 million, according to the Wall Street Journal.

Responding to a follower on Twitter asking whether he would sell rights to his songs, Crosby replied: "I am selling mine also.

"I can’t work, and streaming stole my record money.

"I have a family and a mortgage and I have to take care of them, so it’s my only option. I’m sure the others feel the same."

https://www.itv.com/news/2020-12-08/are-streaming-services-paying-artists-enough-david-crosby-follow...